Online Background Checks

Move along, nothing to see here!
brookline

Online Background Checks

Post by brookline »

Have any of you ever looked up someone using an online background criminal check service like Instant Checkmate? How well do they work? Are there services like that out where I can just buy one or two searches without a self-renewing subscription?

Jean

Re: Online Background Checks

Post by Jean »

Isn't it possible for the applicant to get a paper from Law renforcement stating his criminal background(or absence thereof)?

brookline

Post by brookline »

Jean wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:32 pm
Isn't it possible for the applicant to get a paper from Law enforcement stating his criminal background(or absence thereof)?
My state restricts access to Criminal Offender Record Information to police in the course of an investigation. So, no I can't.

Ego

Post by Ego »

What is the purpose of the check?

macg

Post by macg »

I have never used any of them, sorry ...but it could be worthwhile to just cold call a few private investigator firms and ask them what they use. I would think they would tell you, if you framed it as if you were researching on who to hire. That might give you some insight into what is commonly used.

Also, I'm sure many of them have one-off (more expensive) payments as opposed to subscriptions, but you can also look into the cancel policy. Sometimes it turns out cheaper to sign up for a subscription and then just cancel, you just have to be clear about their policies and possible fees around that.

If it's for a check on yourself for a job prospect, I know that for one job I applied for, I had to go to my local police station and get a statement/document from them saying that my criminal history was clear and that there was no active cases. I'm not sure why that one particular job required me to do it, no other one ever did, but perhaps they just didn't want to shell out the money to have "real" background checks made. I ended up taking another job so I never really followed through lol. But, as you say, the ability to do that may be restricted in different ways in different states, I'm not sure.

brookline

Post by brookline »

macg wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:15 pm
Also, I'm sure many of them have one-off (more expensive) payments as opposed to subscriptions, but you can also look into the cancel policy. Sometimes it turns out cheaper to sign up for a subscription and then just cancel, you just have to be clear about their policies and possible fees around that.
I'm wary of online subscriptions. It can be a bear to cancel cell phone contracts and cable contracts so I always try for pay as I go options. I'd like to avoid spending hours on hold with a company to cancel the subscription. I like your idea of calling private investigators, though I'm guessing they use subscriptions.

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

I guess this would be a useful thing to check before doing any serious business with an individual.

I googled some old friends and found out they had racked up some long rap sheets in the last twenty years. That was just results from free searches.

Jean

Post by Jean »

brookline wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:18 pm
My state restricts access to Criminal Offender Record Information to police in the course of an investigation. So, no I can't.
I mean if asking the person you want to perform a background check on to bring his criminal record would be option for you. Isn't it possible for anyone to access his own criminal record?

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

Yeah. That’s like a landlord asking you to sign a consent form for a check. Why not ask? And ask for their phone while you’re at it to check their social media. You can learn a lot.

WFJ

Post by WFJ »

brookline wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:31 pm
Have any of you ever looked up someone using an online background criminal check service like Instant Checkmate? How well do they work? Are there services like that out where I can just buy one or two searches without a self-renewing subscription?
I have a common name and know when an entity uses a cheap service as random information is contained in my report. The only reliable search can be done with SS# and fingerprints (done by the FBI). States also have very different disclosure laws and crimes that would be present in one state will not show up in another. If you think you need to run a background check on someone, then walk away, your instinct is telling you something is not right.