apocalyptic techno-optimism

Move along, nothing to see here!
Jean

Re: apocalyptic techno-optimism

Post by Jean » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:31 am

But one could make several simulation of a person, with a set of randomly approximate initial conditions, to get an idea of the most probables outcomes.

daylen

Post by daylen » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:36 am

Maybe. Then the problem is calculating/measuring an approximate initial condition.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:22 am

Jean wrote:But one could make several simulation of a person, with a set of randomly approximate initial conditions, to get an idea of the most probables outcomes.
Right. I agree that creating a simulation of human consciousness, or even a simulation of a particular human's consciousness for the benefit of other humans is possible. No different than modeling for weather or stock market or attempting to write a novel in the style of Jane Austen. The problem is enabling continuation of consciousness for our billionaire clients themselves, rather than simply creating the high-tech version of a taxidermist stuffed pet for their heirs or disciples.

daylen wrote:Creating an interface between a fleshy soup of chemicals and a machine/chip is the major obstacle.
Major major. Maybe I was too hasty in suggesting necessity of brain-case implantation. Multiple pathway with two-way feedback into nervous system might serve as well. A friend of mine invents medical devices. One of his designs was a patch a blind person can put on his forehead in order to feel thermal image of immediate environment. I practiced walking around his backyard with my eyes shut, just trusting that the thermal imprint was adequate/accurate. It was very clumsy, but I could sense how with more practice, it could become "natural" to accept the imprint as reality.

So, if you had a collection of similar devices, and there was a feedback loop from the human body, and some sort of simple, flexible co-evolutionary mechanism (as opposed to rigidly programmed prime directive)..?

Jean

Post by Jean » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:51 am

My optimism is that a sentient ai will send us back slowly to neolythic, instead of letting us fall back there.

Jean

Post by Jean » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:06 am

I was thinking about a more gentle way, like telling people around the internet how they could work less by consuming less, and getting rid of the others by amuzing them to death.

Mister Imperceptible

Post by Mister Imperceptible » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:44 pm

@Jean

Grade A

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 73

Post by jacob » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:08 pm

Augustus

Post by Augustus » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:24 pm

Is age of stagnation worth reading?

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:47 pm

Is age of stagnation worth reading?
Yes. His tone is oddly comforting. Like the voice of a 1960s National Weather Service meteorologist calmly listing time-stamped heading co-ordinates of a major incoming shit-storm.

Kriegsspiel

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:00 am

Age of Stagnation is a good book.

vexed87

Post by vexed87 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:28 am

Jean wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:06 am
I was thinking about a more gentle way, like telling people around the internet how they could work less by consuming less, and getting rid of the others by amuzing them to death.
Some schools of thought would have you believe that if enough people did this, it could collapse the delicate interconnected global economy with obviously disastrous consequences. Of course, we don't really need to worry about that, it ain't gonna happen because we can't all be hair dressers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQaw2fix3q0