Per Diem Resets for Travelling Consultants

Ask your investment, budget, and other money related questions here
Mister Imperceptible

Per Diem Resets for Travelling Consultants

Post by Mister Imperceptible »

A colleague just informed me that he takes 5 weeks off every 365 days. Otherwise, the travel expenses he is compensated for (lodging, per diem, mileage, airfare, etc.) becomes taxable, instead of tax-deductible (I am a 1099). This is not insignificant. I called my CPA and I was forwarded to one of the assistants. “That’s news to me!” he said when I asked him about what I had heard. (What the fcuk am I paying you for?!?!)

Does anyone know the rules? Trying to peer through all the obfuscation.

Mister Imperceptible

Re: Per Diem Resets for Travelling Consultants

I travel up to 250-300 days per year, no more. It may be that my colleague does not return home every weekend, and I do. I definitely have a “home,” which is hundreds of miles away.

Mister Imperceptible

Thanks Augustus.

Realistically, I doubt I could get enough time off work or time worked remotely to do anything about it anyway. It wouldn’t even be worth the lost income. Have to keep my client happy.

Mister Imperceptible

I think politically it would be very bad to take that much time off or work remote. I’m a consultant and not a senior employee with a long track record. I cannot jeopardize the gig for the sake of taxes.

Mister Imperceptible

Oh I am absolutely taking the deduction for 2017, the question is, moving forward can I continue to do so.

I’m new to being a 1099, so I was hoping to get help this year and perhaps the next with the new tax code, after which I can review what my CPA did for 2017 and 2018, and then use that as a template moving forward. I still intend to double check his work.