Patreon users

Ask your investment, budget, and other money related questions here
prognastat

Re: Patreon users

Post by prognastat »

@Daylen
In this context probably "Politically Correct".

daylen

Post by daylen »

I know this much. I read the definition and it says "exhibiting political correctness", then I read the synonyms and they read "unbiased, unoffensive, appropriate". This does not register for me since all conversation is biased and potentially offensive to anyone.

prognastat

Post by prognastat »

Well it has shifted some over time.

In the 90s it was predominantly the right-wing and religious pushing for political correctness such as attempting to ban profanity, blasphemy, sex and violence in media. At the time you can think of it as what George Carlin fought against with many on the right pushing for censorship using for example the FCC.

In more recent times there has been somewhat of a re-emergence on the left using similar strategies.

daylen

Post by daylen »

Sounds like an utterly meaningless phrase that allows unhappy people to define it and use it as a shield against their insecurities. How is that for political correctness? :twisted:

daylen

Post by daylen »

That was immature and unnecessarily provocative. I was trying to make a point, but this was probably not the right place to do it.

@thegreatvoid Here is a thread that discusses political correctness.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=6983&hilit=political+correctness

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

claiming that there's absolutely nothing to the anti-PC warriors at this stage seems deliberately uninformed or pretending to be. brute hates JP's blather as much as the next internet consumer, but pretending that there is no repressive dynamic is absurd and only strengthens the case.

daylen

Post by daylen »

I am not pretending that there is no repressive dynamic. I am criticizing the phrase itself. Linguistically, it is highly ambiguous and too interpretive for my taste.

The more I try to understand it, the less meaningful it becomes. Whatever meaning it does hold has been meshed into my existing framework, it seems.

It is sort of like the word "emotion" -- this is another catch-all term that confuses me. It is hard for me to distinguish between thought and emotion, therefore emotion seems to describe all of existence in some sense. Why not use more descriptive words like anger, frustration, confusion, joy, excitement and so forth instead? This would be helpful.

Or perhaps I am uninformed and brute is willing to enlighten me on the PC thread. This may very well be the case since I have never actually heard anyone use this phrase in the physical word. This could be due to me being a hermit, and/or maybe I live in some kind of geographical bubble.

daylen

Post by daylen »

Oh, I get it now. By criticizing, I am actively repressing certain kinds of information. Thanks for the feedback.

The Old Man

Post by The Old Man »

Connections between Patreon and Paypal
https://youtu.be/tj5PVT03fxw

Transcript of discussion with Jacqueline Hart, head of Patreon's Trust & Safety Team
https://youtu.be/Hv7hvZee-PQ

Available evidence seems to warrant an investigation by the Federal Trade Commission.

Kriegsspiel

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Mr. Benjamin used the N-word and anti-gay language during an interview posted to YouTube on Feb. 7, Patreon found.

On Dec. 6, the company told Mr. Benjamin that it would freeze his account and that he could appeal. Mr. Benjamin objected and said the video in question should not fall under Patreon’s rules because it was on YouTube.

“His response to us when we told him about the reform process was to nitpick and say, ‘I was being anti-Nazi,’” Ms. Hart said. “You cannot say those words on our platform. It doesn’t matter who you’re directing them at.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/24/tech ... -bans.html
That 'you're being anti-Nazi' comment made me LOL. Was the lack of fucks given because the simple concept of Patreon could just be copied by non-Orwellians?

prognastat

Post by prognastat »

The problem is though you'd think creating a non-Orwellian competitor would be easier it seems every time someone tries paypal and stripe(the payment processors that cover the vast majority of online transactions) seem to be unwilling to work with the patreon competitors.

So far there has been Hatreon, Makersupport and Subscribestar each of which has been squashed shortly after becoming known as patreon alternatives.

It seems that the only way to become a competitor to patreon is to also become a competitor to paypal and stripe by becoming your own payment processor. That's of course assuming you don't find that the bank you decide to work with doesn't decide to pull out due to political pressure. It's not impossible, it happened to Julian Assange for example.

The original hope was that creating a competitor to patreon was all that was necessary. The new hope is that creating an alternative to patreon and payment processors will be enough.

So far the only options I've heard that might be alternatives so far are:
- Using cryptocurrency, this does mean it would be impossible to block a company from being able to send/receive payments, however a lot of work would have to be done to make it accessible to your average internet user.
- Create an actual payment processor by working directly with banks. This adds a lot of work and there is still the potential for the banks to be targeted.
- Rely on direct bank to bank transfers by having a business account with a bank. This would significantly slow down transfers and would mean it would take longer for payments to be made etc.