David Collum year in review

Ask your investment, budget, and other money related questions here
Mister Imperceptible

Re: David Collum year in review

Post by Mister Imperceptible »

@Fish

Not saying the opinions expressed were yours. Just trying to say how public opinion regarding someone unpopular can be easily manipulated by playing a telephone game. “Anecdotal reports suggest” can go to easily manipulated places. I cannot know if that archived Reddit post is true or is part of a smear campaign. People who are more agreeable are often not on the other side of cancel culture mob attacks, and so that it can happen might be inconceivable to them (because they usually conform, either fearing crowd disapproval and/or desiring crowd approval or it being just a consequence of their natural gregariousness).

My agreeableness is zero and my experience is the opposite. I have seen someone or someone(s) create a mock account in my name and use it to post offensive things. Because I am “disagreeable” they did not feel this was unethical, my coward “friends” being terrified of nonconformity did not come to my defense, and again because I am “disagreeable” there were others all too ready to believe the mock account and things posted by it was me. So my natural response is to attack witch hunt BS.

I also re-read the article you posted and I guess Collum has not been fired as chemistry prof (yet)? Rather he was just removed as director of undergraduate studies. If that is the case I misread it before.

Based on these experiences my hope for solving racism or any other ism is zero. Beyond Dunbar number we cannot know people and so must settle for what the authorities tell us, which I increasingly believe are lies. Multicultural dream is possible in post-scarcity utopia of growing society where everybody wins to varying degrees but not in a declining one where competitive zero-sum games proliferate. Psy-ops and surveillance are increasing. In the Taibbi article I linked he captured how I feel on where the Democrats now stand with regard to civil liberties.

I remember hearing from a few black people I know IRL, approval of the murder of police officers in Dallas a few years ago as retribution for previous instances of police brutality against blacks. Now, ideally we could look at each instance on a case-by-case basis. Yes, this particular cop should be brought to justice for keeping a knee on a dude’s neck for 9 minutes, no, we should not indiscriminately kill police officers. But tribalism takes over.

Again, Collum’s tweet was true in that the old dude was nudged, likely untrue that he was presenting a real threat as that is why he was nudged instead of batoned, but essentially depicted the reality of how cops are now in no-win situation during riots (see @white belt’s comments in unwinding covid lockdown thread). But at this point no nuanced discussion is possible as mobs descend and enforce “higher education ethos” of For Us or Against Us.

Again, I don’t know of a solution to these problems or am too tired to further articulate but I have been right there as Collum is receiving the epithets, condemnation and threats to my livelihood, hence my strong reaction.

Furthermore, I am not really sure what is expected of me or others who have endured something similar when political movements associated with cancel culture then say “For Us or Against Us.” I would have to be pretty self-loathing to be For You if this is the way I am going to be treated. Against You, then, of course.

Fish

Post by Fish »

Your points seem reasonable to me @MI. I’m sorry you had to go through something similar. The resulting perspective makes sense given your experiences.

With respect to tweet, although it was intended as commentary on the events of the video, others are choosing to view it as opposing the narrative of police brutality in USA and need for reform. Not the most charitable interpretation, but one that needs to be acknowledged in this environment.

Should Dave have taken his own advice and stayed away from violent mobs? I think this outcome could have been anticipated... and even if not, it is a good precautionary lesson.

Still, I lament both the chilling effect that results from [fear of] mob behavior, as well as the fact that we condone internet mob justice so long as it’s for a good cause.

Mister Imperceptible

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2020/06/11/ ... achusetts/

The city of Boston removed the damaged statue of Christopher Columbus from a North End park Thursday morning, a day after it was beheaded by vandals.
Augustus wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:58 pm
My ancestors never renounced citizenship, so the key is to realize that I was born a citizen, but I am now being recognized as one, maybe, gonna take a while. I am pursuing 2 routes, my strongest case is in Italy
I prefer you stay in America as part of the bulwark against decay and barbarism.

Mister Imperceptible

It’s worse than that.

In January and February the media told you to buy the most overvalued stocks in history.

In March and April the media told you to lockdown and lose your business.

In June the media tells you to fight the white patriarchy.

Nothing is true. Everything is justified.

There is nowhere to run to.

Mister Imperceptible

What you suggest would require that the powerful relinquish their power. Including their power to brainwash people. Wall Street is bending them over with no grease, and they think trashing Thomas Jefferson statues is the solution. The general population will do whatever their masters tell them to do. Slavery still exists in 21st century. The unique characteristic is that it is brought about by psychological pressures, and is actually embraced by the slave as a chosen state.