How to handle cashback bonuses?

Ask your investment, budget, and other money related questions here
sizzlinkola

How to handle cashback bonuses?

Post by sizzlinkola »

I'm a CC churner and want to apply for a CC to get a $400 cashback bonus. I'm having a dilemma on how to treat this $400.

I'm planning to make a large purchase for a hobby of mine: crash pads for bouldering. At the same time, I want to maximize my Roth IRA or reduce my debt. Thus, I'm conflicted on the different options on how I could use this money:
  • 2 pads for $310 (superior quality, long life). Invest leftover $90 into Roth.
  • 1 $150 pad (average quality, short-medium life). Invest leftover $250 into Roth.
  • Invest entire $400 into Roth. Buy either pad option with take-home pay.
If I didn't have the $400 bonus, I would feel bad about buying the $310 pads and may opt for the $150 pad instead (or 1 superior quality pad rather than 2). Thus, having the $400 bonus makes me feel less guilty to splurge.

My finances: Have a 6 mo EF. I maximize my 401(k), HSA and working on my Roth. I'm confident I'd be able to maximize my Roth without any cashback bonus. I have a student loan of $16k @ 3.4-3.8% and a auto loan $12k @ 2.2%.

How should I handle this?

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Re: How to handle cashback bonuses?

Post by jacob »

You'll develop better financial habits if you always send windfalls into "savings".

Toys should be budgeted for.

Even better/more advanced, that budget-category should be self-funding, e.g. by selling other toys and using [only] that money to buy new toys.

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

I'm planning to make a large purchase for a hobby of mine: crash pads for bouldering.
Try looking on craigslist, at the gym, and on mountainproject for good deals. Apparently they can get used up though, so watch out for that.

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

question: why would the source of money have an impact on its use?

$400 are $400, whether you got them from work, dividends, found them in a ditch, or got them as cash back.
I would ask myself the question "should I spend $400 on XYZ?" with no regard of its provenance.