Anyone using kimblechartingsolutions?

Ask your investment, budget, and other money related questions here
wolf

Anyone using kimblechartingsolutions?

Post by wolf »

Is anyone using https://kimblechartingsolutions.com/blog/ for trading stocks or other assets? I have been following the blog for about 2 years now and I find the charts quite inspiring. So, my question is, if anyone here on this forum is a member or is using it in order to trade? I was a member for 2 months, but it is a bit more complicated for a non-US-investor. If you have experiences with it, what do you think about it?

Lucky C

Re: Anyone using kimblechartingsolutions?

Post by Lucky C »

I don't but with any charting/trading model I would question how its been developed - based on a sound hypothesis, extensively backtested, proven results going forward? Or has it been data-mined, subject to survivorship bias, limited to recent years (even 10 years is not a long backtest)? Is the expected alpha from this strategy positive, after trading costs, taxes, and subscription fees?

Take a look at his Basic Example here. https://kimblechartingsolutions.com/what-we-do/
I imagine this would be a hand-picked example showing a best-case scenario with his trading signals. In the 2nd picture, he sells S&P500 at 1378 in late April 2012. In the 1st picture, he buys S&P500 at 1278 in early June 2012. So he apparently avoided a 7% drop but it looks like he's making trades every month or two resulting in short term capital gains taxes and potentially significant trading fees. Again, this should be seen as a best case ideal example.

In the 3rd picture, his plot cuts off right before a single day 13% drop in silver prices in September 2013. Was this chart published the very day before that drop telling investors to sell before the close of that very day? If so, impeccable timing, but I imagine his followers were not actually able to execute that trade in time since they would have to nail the day exactly. Also, why wasn't the sell point when the red line was breached in late 2012? That would have made a more perfect triangle shape, but selling then would have been followed by one last little rally, so that would have looked bad if it were a sell signal. How convenient that he waited until late 2013 when the real selloff began!

suomalainen

Re: Anyone using kimblechartingsolutions?

Post by suomalainen »

“Technical analysis” = reading tea leaves. FWIW, I’ve found earl grey is the most accurate.