Set it and Forget it fund.

Ask your investment, budget, and other money related questions here
Cordel

Set it and Forget it fund.

Post by Cordel »

what 6 or less funds with Vanguard would you put 100k into as a set it and forget it fund? I am considering these

VTI 40% Vanguard Total Stock Market Index
VBR 10%
VEU 20%
VWO 5%
VCIT 25

Vang Tot Stk Mkt, 45
Vang Tot. Intl Stk, 15
Vang Total Bond Fd, 30
Vang Tot Intl Bond Indx or Vang Interm Term Tx Exempt 10

unemployable

Re: Set it and Forget it fund.

Post by unemployable »

If it's truly "forget it", less than that in bonds, maybe perhaps zero.

Lucky C

Post by Lucky C »

VXUS is virtually identical to VEU but includes small cap stocks. Since you mention VBR for US small cap representation, you may also want to consider VXUS instead of VEU for international small cap representation, but like I say the returns should be nearly the same.

Dream of Freedom

Post by Dream of Freedom »

Well if I really felt the need to limit myself so...

VIG Dividend aristocrats have historically outperformed the S&P 500 index with lower volatility over longer investment time frames.

VNQ & VNQI If I was not already overweight real estate through home ownership. Similar reasons.

Lucky C

Post by Lucky C »

Since inception, VIG has slightly trailed VTI and VOO (more significantly since the start of this bull market), with about the same volatility.
https://personal.vanguard.com/us/funds/ ... tingFrom=5

sky

Post by sky »

VFORX

slowtraveler

Post by slowtraveler »

Wellesley or Global Wellesley with some 50-50 US-International index in there (Vtsax-Vtiax). All depends on where I am living and my desired asset allocation.

Farm_or

Post by Farm_or »

Why not consider one of the lifestyle funds that have the same type of structure, but automatically rebalance? I think you will find the rebalance feature superior to any set and forget?

The experience that I had back in my twenties was a man in his sixties trying to get back into the work force due to his "set and forget" portfolio. His money forgot him when he was starting to need it most.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

That's going to be highly dependent on one's investing goals/timeline, and their temperament. For myself I might pick something like Wellington or Wellesly to keep a fairly stable risk profile (i.e., % equity exposure). Having multiple funds of differing asset classes would tend to set up a periodic rebalancing situation for me.

The context is that I'm nearing the sunset of my accumulation phase so downside risk is growing in importance as a consideration and upside opportunity is becoming less dominant in my decision making. A young investor could go equity-heavy and let it ride for decades before needing to rethink how their investments are deployed. I don't necessarily recommend it for anyone, but splitting between Total US-market and ex-US total market in some way that makes you comfortable would make for a very bumpy ride if you're constantly checking, but arguably would set one up for among the higher expected multi-decade investment returnss from "traditional" assets. But it would take a lot of discipline to let that run as a set-and-forget.

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 »

I'm not one to tell you how to invest, but I'm happy to provide some data to help you make that decision for yourself. ;)

If you're into passive index investing and are looking for where to start, check out the portfolios and calculators at Portfolio Charts.

KevinW

Post by KevinW »

It's hard to answer without any information about your investing goals or risk tolerance.

As others said, for true set-and-forget you need an all-in-one fund, not one that's intended to be a component of multi-fund portfolio.

Target Retirement Income is a good low-volatility total-return index portfolio.

LifeStrategy Moderate Growth and Balanced Index are both solid, conventional, Boglehead-style moderate-risk-return index portfolios.

Managed Payout is attractive as an endowment-style total return portfolio, with a blend of passive and active management, that manages computing a safe withdraw rate for you.

Equity Income is, as the name implies, an old-school low-cost dividend income fund. It could provide perpetual sustainable income, if you can ignore principal volatility (for real).

Global Wellington is an old-school growth-and-income fund based on value stocks and corporate bonds. Its volatility and yield are marginally lower than Equity Income.