How do I stop wasting money on books

Ask your investment, budget, and other money related questions here
Frosti85

How do I stop wasting money on books

Post by Frosti85 »

I had quite an easy time cutting down on most expenses, but I have this habit of buying 3-4 books on amazon
each month, and then maybe reading 50% of them at best.

I just like to read a lot, and somehow I prefer physical books over eBooks, but I still don't want to waste so much money.

Anyone had a "shopping" habit like that and got rid of it ? How did you get rid of it ?

Seppia

Re: How do I stop wasting money on books

Post by Seppia »

Ever heard of the library?
:)

Frosti85

Post by Frosti85 »

Seppia wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:04 am
Most of the books I read are not available in the library. For example jacobs ERE book.
Even a big library won't even have 1% of the books available on amazon, there are just too many of them today

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

Frosti85 wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:00 am

I just like to read a lot, and somehow I prefer physical books over eBooks, but I still don't want to waste so much money.
Download & print at work printer.

Jason

Post by Jason »

Frosti85 wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:34 am
Seppia wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:04 am
Most of the books I read are not available in the library. For example jacobs ERE book.
Even a big library won't even have 1% of the books available on amazon, there are just too many of them today
I just received my ERE book from my local library. Most libraries are part of a larger network that allows them to borrow from other libraries. I believe my ERE book came from another county. I also received an esoteric theological book from my local library - they obtained it from a local seminary. So if its not physically in the library, it doesn't mean they can't get it for you. The only drawback is I can't renew those so I have to dedicate myself to them.

I have the same issue with books. As I mentioned in another thread, when I borrow a book from the library, it now tells me how much I saved. Four to five books a months adds up.

I have found that the only only books that are on Amazon or booksellers that are not in the local library are extremely new releases. If it does not affect your livelihood, I would just try to wait. They seem to come in within a year.

Frosti85

Post by Frosti85 »

Thanks for the advice! Will try that out... this possibility never occurred to me for some reason.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Some libraries have good interlibrary systems and some have bad ones. It depends on who they're partnering with. It's been 1+ decade since I haven't been able to access the interlib system from the library. I just "order" my books from there. Then get an email when they arrive at the desk.

But no, the don't have the "weirder" books, so I buy those.

One way to cut down on costs (the way I cut down all costs) is to only buy used (for books, it's amazon). I buy "very good" or better conditions. Then I'll eventually sell them again on amazon. If the book condition is only good or acceptable, it's harder to resell. A lot of the books sitting on my home shelves are listed for sale already. If I want to get rid of them, I start dumping the price, so it becomes the lowest.

If you're mainly reading "worthless" books (by which I mean books that are <$3 used, e.g. a lot of pb fiction), try to see if they're on paperbackswap.com That way you only pay mediamail shipping.

Also, some thrift stores have good finds. Upscale neighborhoods and the ones close to universities will have the best stuff.

Frosti85

Post by Frosti85 »

A related question.. how do you get rid of old books ?

I don't just want to throw them away (maybe this is irrational, because it's not like the information will be lost to future generations.. an argument that could have been made in the past).

selling them on ebay/amazon is not worth the time for 95% of my books.

Jason

Post by Jason »

Donate them to your library so the next guy with your arcane reading habits won't have to waste good money on them.

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

Sell them to a used book store. Donate to a thrift store. Post to give away on Craigslist.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

http://earlyretirementextreme.com/you-c ... chool.html
Donate to thrift shop
Donate to library (likely they will end up being sold to raise money instead)
Compost them
Try your luck here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6255

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

Not sure about the USA, but here in Italy you can request the library for any book*, and after a while they always get it, no matter what it is.
Most of the books I read are in English, and I don't want to abuse the system, so I tend to have a relatively high budget for them.
Consider nobody reads in English in Italy so buying kindle is the least inefficient way for me.
Mostly I don't care (except for the cost) because I hate stuff, but I do wish I had bought the ERE book in physical form instead of kindle.

*that can reasonably be purchased by them

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

The unfinished books are what concern me. You may be able to do a better job of screening up front. Some ideas:

Look for interviews with the authors, especially podcasts. They usually give the bulk of it away. Also check their websites for samples or articles.

Borderline ethics, but Amazon's ebook return policy is generous. I've used it to check out very expensive books before buying in the past.

Similar, pick up a drink at your local bookstore and take a look at what you're interested in.

You might be eligible for an audible free trial, or Amazon prime free trial, that lets you see or here the book.

If your library sucks, they may have a reciprocal relationship with a library in a nearby community for no or a low fee. It's also possible you could get access to a local university or other niche library for an annual fee.

My library is connected to a system called world cat. They can get many books for a $5 transit free.

Personally I just buy the books as cheap as I can, then pass them on when done. It's usually not worth the hassle to sell them. For awhile I'd trade in at the local used book store, but one I hit over $100 in credit, I realized their stock just didn't suit me.

There's also something to be said for supporting those whose work you value. I don't begrudge Jacob the couple bucks he got when I bought a physical copy of his book. I still hope he writes another one.

When I was younger, I pirated a lifting ebook and ran the program for months. Eventually I realized I was being a selfish twit and bought the book even though I alread had it. I want the author to make more content. He's not going to if everyone steals his work.

I suppose the ERE way would be to get a relationship with authors or a publishing company that givea access to pre print books.

An example - a company in my area of expertise reached out to me to proof chapters of a training book, ahead of print. That was electronic, but they were offering around $50/hr. I unfortunately didn't have the time to pursue it then.

My wife works in publishing, this sort of thing becomes an ongoing relationship.

Another - my wife is friends with an author, she got to read the book in process, give feedback, read revisions, etc. Authors do this for one another all the time. Again electronic, but no cost.

Come to think of it, my wife made friends with the a local librarian. She got her free tickets to a big book conference in the area. Part of the conference was people giving away books before publication in hopes of publicity and reviews via attendees. Another possible path.

JWJones

Post by JWJones »

I resemble this thread! :lol:

Since I have been making a dedicated effort to reduce my spending, my Amazon habit has really taken a hit. I found that I was purchasing a lot of fiction (albeit, used), that I ended up finding disappointing. I hate spending money on disappointing things.

Now, I only buy books (after careful consideration of their long-term value) that have the potential to increase my quality of life beyond mere entertainment value. For example, I recently purchased Early Retirement Extreme, The Simple Path to Wealth, and Your Money or Your Life.

For anything else, I'm getting a library card. Also, I have been slowly selling off much of my book collection on ebay, and those books that don't sell I either give away or donate to Goodwill.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Scott 2 wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:28 pm
I suppose the ERE way would be to get a relationship with authors or a publishing company that givea access to pre print books.
If you blog, vlog, .. or slog (speaking-log podcast?!) ... and start reviewing books on your site, it likely wont take more than a year before various publishers start drowning you in books. I know a [finance] podcaster who had stacks of unread books (25+) queued up. I get offers too but I usually say no because I hate writing reviews.

Book reviews is also an excellent way to make affiliate money (tricky ethical concerns here for one to work out).

PS: It doesn't have to be books. But you do have to like creating detailed reviews.

EdithKeeler

Post by EdithKeeler »

I have a bad Amazon addiction myself. I actually deleted from credit card number from Amazon, so now if I buy something I have to find my CC and manually enter the number. It's slowed down the buying for sure! I also add stuff to my wish list and wait a bit--often the mood passes.

I bought a huge stack of paperbacks for "fun" reading this weekend at an estate sale for $5. That was satisfying--but those were stuff like popular thrillers. I read a lot of different things--non-fiction, popular fiction, not-so-popular fiction, a book I read about on a website....

I pass on a lot of books to friends, and of course Kindle keeps the clutter down. I donate, used to sell on Half.com, also sell back to Half Price Books.

Jason

Post by Jason »

The problem I have found with free books from the library is mold. One moldy book can seriously affect air quality.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

There is always a fine line between frugal and cheap. In order for any system to become more complex within its boundary, it must digest "stuff" that is more complex than the "stuff" that it excretes. If you have some money, the means by which you acquired it was only dependent upon the knowledge/skill base you had acquired at the time it was acquired. Therefore, if/when you purchase a book (one of the most highly organized things you can purchase!) that is capable of holding your interest because it expands your knowledge, you are basically doing the equivalent of exchanging excrement (money earned when you were more stupid) for a nutritious and/or delicious mind meal.

So, if you only have X years left to live and only some fraction of hours within those years of post-coffee-pre-nap attentiveness, unless it is your desire to die stupid, it is obvious that whatever expenditure of previously earned funds is necessary to facilitate maximum intake of complexity in the form of books is highly advisable. IOW, it is likely that some formula that would be relevant to the extinction of unique species of animals on the planet Earth should be applied to the extinction of the possibility of the creation of interesting new ideas within the realm of your flabby brain.

IOW, the best answer to the question "Where will we get the intelligence to solve all these problems?" is by maximizing spending on books to the extent that maximizing spending actually facilitates greater ingestion and/or digestion EVEN if the ratio of increased spending to increased reading/comprehension/motivation is not linear!!! I will leave the derivation of the recommended ideal limit as exercise for other forum members.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

7Wannabe5 wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:37 am
There is always a fine line between frugal and cheap. In order for any system to become more complex within its boundary, it must digest "stuff" that is more complex than the "stuff" that it excretes.
In this case here, algorithms are building out and into the minds of humans. If you inhale a virus, are you digesting the virus, or is it digesting you? https://medium.com/@jamesbridle/somethi ... 9c471271d2

Jason

Post by Jason »

I don’t see it as a fine line. I see it as a moral standing.

Before I came here I was cheap. Now I’m an amalgamation of frugal and cheap working towards complete frugality. A spendthrift can be cheap but not frugal.