The Disutility of Hard Assets as a Nomad

Ask your investment, budget, and other money related questions here
slowtraveler

The Disutility of Hard Assets as a Nomad

Post by slowtraveler »

I am moving soon and have a car + a some hard commodities that I planned to keep at my family's house.

Upon more thinking about it, there isn't much benefit (since I couldn't access said assets from abroad and something like a car has sitting costs) while there are costs/risks. The typical benefit of a store of value in a shtf doesn't apply since transportation cost to get back in said scenario would likely outweigh the value of said commodities or car.

I could liquidate, invest, and repurchase later if I ever needed it again in the future. I could get an extra couple of paychecks by selling the commodities I have before I leave at year end but I feel resistance to selling.

Is there some benefit I'm consciously overlooking or is it probably a good idea to sell, clear the stress, and let it be a simple number in an account?

bryan

Re: The Disutility of Hard Assets as a Nomad

Post by bryan »

You are facing an age-old issue. The advent of technologies/structures (e.g. domestication of animals, jewelry, banks, government, telegraphy, the internet, etc) continually change the equation.

Sounds like you are sussing out the real risks and what you can do to prepare.

Eureka

Post by Eureka »

Hi Felipe, I am currious about what you have decided upon.

Recalling from my own past, whenever I have stored stuff before leaving a place, I have barely cared anything for it later. Even for rather personal items. Not to mention the hustle of keeping stuff stored years on end as my plans changed over time. I recall leaving some boxes with a collection of rather valuable rare circus books behind at a friend's house in Berlin before going to Japan. And when I finally came back to pick them up half a decade later, she had sold her house and gotten rid of my boxes long ago. And to be honest, it was quite a relief that I did not have to deal with my past possessions any longer, even though they represented real monetary value if I'd spend the necessary time to sell them.

slowtraveler

Post by slowtraveler »

That reality slowly dawned on me. I stand to lose my stuff with no benefit. Might as well get something out of it now and clear that brain space.

I let go of the emotional attachment and decided to sell my commodities this month and then my car in November/December when I'm moving. I can have an etf replace my commodities in an easier and more efficient manner if I desire.