What is your FIRE number? Your expected FIRE expenses?

Ask your investment, budget, and other money related questions here
ertyu

Re: What is your FIRE number? Your expected FIRE expenses?

Post by ertyu »

JamesR wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:02 pm
Jacob, based on the math, you FIREd at 4.67% SWR.. I think that should be highlighted more often ;)

I guess I feel people on this forum should have a bit more willingness to FIRE early rather than waiting until they exactly their number, whether it's 4% or 3% or 2% or a million bucks.
Also note these were 2009 dollars. Stocks mkt throughs allow for up to 6% swr. Always consider swr in relation to current valuations. Retiring at the bottom of a bear market is the best timing you can possibly have, with the sequence of returns being a tailwind the whole way through the earliest, crucial post-retirement years.

Western Red Cedar

Post by Western Red Cedar »

@7W5 - I was rereading this thread last night. Lots of great dialogue and perspectives here. Have your perspectives changed after dealing with unexpected health issues? What kind of advice would you give to younger folks who are still stashing away their apples?

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

“Western Red Cedar” wrote: Have your perspectives changed after dealing with unexpected health issues? What kind of advice would you give to younger folks who are still stashing away their apples?
Try to have as much great sex as you can before your body fails on you. Especially if you have any running through the woods with somebody who is inhabiting the masculine energy of the wolf type fantasies.

You can always make more money doing brain in a jar tasks even after you become physically decrepit.

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

Touché

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

I also wouldn’t give up any of the years I spent at home with my babies for any amount of compounded interest. Or the fun and excitement I had running my own little business with my dear sister as my partner. I’m pretty much a completely fulfilled human. I just have the challenge now of figuring out how not to be in pain for the next 20 or 30 years.

WFJ

Post by WFJ »

"Enjoy present pleasures in such a way not to injure future ones"

Seneca

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Right, but the same holds for a future you suffering from regret as much as pain. Bedsides when better to plan on totally nerding out and making some money than the period where your body doesn’t work so well any more? When you are in pain it is more difficult to enjoy leisure than work. Makes me think that workaholics must suffer from some sort of mental or emotional pain.

zbigi

Post by zbigi »

7Wannabe5 wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:52 pm
The question also is, how much harder is to make money nerding out as someone in their late fifties than someone in their early twenties. Employers definitely like them young...

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

@zbigi:

Well, that’s part of what makes it a potentially interesting experiment. It’s actually kind of boring to be retired at my age when everybody else is doing it. Also, I’m okay with being disabled diversity hire as long as my cubicle is within 2 minutes of a bathroom.

zbigi

Post by zbigi »

7Wannabe5 wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:29 am
Fingers crossed then! I'd love to hear your take on a modern corporate environment.