New trading account

Ask your investment, budget, and other money related questions here
Robert Muir

Post by Robert Muir »

Since my IRA accounts were with Vanguard and that's where, aside from emergency funds, my assets are, I used Vanguard for stock trades last year. At $7, their trade fees are pretty decent, but they don't have many tools to speak of.
Now that I have enough funds to begin trading outside my tax deferred accounts, I've been looking around for a new brokerage. My eye was on Scottrade, but TradeKing is running a decent promotion this month, so I decided to go with them.
http://www.thedividendguyblog.com/open- ... promotion/

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

I'd recommend SogoTrade. $3 flat... Very good executions. Also, there is SogoElite, at .004 cents / share.
If you're using margin, be sure to checkout interactive brokers for excellent rates (1.15-1.65%)... Although, IB is not user friendly.

AlexOliver

Post by AlexOliver »

I've heard Zecco offers a $25 bonus.

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

I've had many terrible experiences with Zecco... Horrible broker, horrible slippage. It's really just a front end call center for Pension, which isn't really a retail brokerage anyway.
WellsFargo does free trades when you have 25k with them... Haven't tried them, but probably better than Zecco.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

I'll second JohnnyH's opinion of Interactive Brokers. I've recently signed up with them as a second account with plans to use their margin rates--even with the $10/mo maintenance fee for not trading enough, their margin rate is still <3% on a $10k account! Not a broker for noobs.
My regular broker is Ameritrade. Margin interest is outrageous, trades are something like $9.99, but good service and the monthly statements & tax statements are the nicest I know of.

Benjamin

Post by Benjamin »

Anybody have experience with TradeKing?

Benjamin

Post by Benjamin »

I take the silence as a no ;-)
In that case, which online trading platform do you have? Pros? Cons? If looking for an online account now, would you go with the same company you have now?

Maus

Post by Maus »

I've been very satisfied with Scottrade with the exception of the interest paid on their sweep account. $7 trades and no maintenance fees. But base rate for margin is <= 8% depending on account balance.

dragoncar

Post by dragoncar »

I use Fidelity out of habit. Trades are a bit more (around $8) but I try not to trade often. Margin is high too, but I don't use that. Great customer service. No compelling reason to switch.

Robert Muir

Post by Robert Muir »

I'm still using Vanguard. Pluses are $7 trades, free Vanguard ETF and mutual fund trades, and free retirement accounts.
Minus is that options aren't easy and few tools.