Ask your investment, budget, and other money related questions here
jennypenny

Re: Portfolio Charts

Post by jennypenny »

I like the new look of the calculators.

ThisDinosaur

Post by ThisDinosaur »

Looks great. It looks like the World and WorldX columns are switching when you switch countries. The X is supposed to be "minus [domestic]" , yes?

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 »

The X means ex-US. Most other countries represent only a small percentage of the world market, and in those cases a full World fund works just fine for "international".

The WLD and WLDx categories are switching automatically to make it really easy to directly translate portfolio ideas between countries while accounting for that basic issue of not all countries defining "international" the same.

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 »

I wanted to go back and reference each person here who has ever requested the ability to generate every chart on the site while only entering your asset allocation once, but eventually I lost count. :lol:

You know who you are! This one's for you > https://portfoliocharts.com/2018/09/17/ ... o-station/

P_K

Post by P_K »

An excellent update to be sure! Thanks for all your hard work, Tyler9000

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

holy fuk

herp

Post by herp »

Impressive work!

However, I'm noticing poor performance when I view the graphs (Annual Returns, Long Term Returns, Drawdowns). One CPU core is constantly maxed out, even when I'm not interacting with them, which results in the interaction being sluggish.

Earlybath

Post by Earlybath »

Consistently outstanding.

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 »

Thanks everyone! Glad you like it. I admit I'm pretty proud of this one. :D

@herp -- Hmm... A little slowness is normal due to the number of charts to update, but the maxed CPU core surprises me as all of the calculations should be handled in the cloud. I've read that some people have also experienced your issue using Microsoft Onedrive (which also hosts my spreadsheets), so maybe it's related. While I can't offer an easy fix perhaps you can use that info to troubleshoot the issue.

Smashter

Post by Smashter »

Dreams do come true! Awesome job. The performance is great on my comp.

herp

Post by herp »

Tyler9000 wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:12 am
Thanks everyone! Glad you like it. I admit I'm pretty proud of this one. :D

@herp -- Hmm... A little slowness is normal due to the number of charts to update, but the maxed CPU core surprises me as all of the calculations should be handled in the cloud. I've read that some people have also experienced your issue using Microsoft Onedrive (which also hosts my spreadsheets), so maybe it's related. While I can't offer an easy fix perhaps you can use that info to troubleshoot the issue.
Looks like it's a browser issue. I experience the same maxed CPU core problem in Chrome 69 and Firefox 62, but not in Edge 42. I tried fully wiping the cache, but it didn't help.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I love the update!

JamesR

Post by JamesR »

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles ... h-business mentions long 190% and short 90% being an effective way to reduce volatility.

Should we consider portfolios w/ a significant short position as another way to diversify?

Mister Imperceptible

Post by Mister Imperceptible »

The easiest thing to short should be fiat currency. The Federal Reserve has already stated openly that it will not tolerate deflation.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernanke_doctrine

Get a fixed-rate mortgage with the longest term possible, and buy gold. No complex instruments or unreliable counterparties necessary. Each will go up over time, but at different times. Inflation becomes a tailwind instead of headwind. Gold acts as a reserve against the mortgage liability. They complement one another.

Regarding stock market shorts, I admire those who:

-Are smart enough to execute the shorts
-Are lucky enough to time the shorts (Markets can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent)
-Have the faith that counterparties will pay them on their broad-based market shorts when the financial system is in crisis and many counterparties are insolvent (The derivatives market could be a time bomb ready to blow up)

Are you smart, lucky, and will your faith be rewarded? You have to go 3 for 3. You can even say you’re smart enough to have perfect timing, and it’s still meaningless if the financial institution cannot pay up.

CS

Post by CS »

Really nice - thanks for the update!

suomalainen

Post by suomalainen »

Quick question, which I think I know the answer to, and apologies if this has been answered somewhere in the prior 415 posts, but all of these portfolio charts assume no re-balancing, no re-allocation, no trading, etc., correct? You have portfolio X on day 1 and the charts show how that portfolio would have fared over 1-whatever years assuming you held on to it through all the ups and downs, correct? So all of them are descriptions of "set it and forget it" strategies, just different mixes of asset classes?

Thanks, and awesome tool.

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 »

The calculations all assume that you rebalance once a year back to your target asset allocation, although adding an option to set and forget does seem like a good idea.

slsdly

Post by slsdly »

In addition to my usual "add an annual % drag to each category to account for fees/taxes/increasing-costs-to-do-business request", it would be interesting to see the performance of the so-called alternatives to gold -- namely silver, and gold mining stocks. Not sure how easy it would be to get information on the latter.

CS

Post by CS »

Tyler9000 wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:33 am
The calculations all assume that you rebalance once a year back to your target asset allocation, although adding an option to set and forget does seem like a good idea.
I recall reading somewhere (a different forum) that waiting to rebalance until it hits the brackets (15%/35% for the PP), rather than annually, results in better returns.

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 »

Thanks for the reminder on potential settings for things like trading costs and rebalancing method. Now that I have a centralized system for the calculations, doing stuff like that is a bit more practical.