Investment suggestions?

Ask your investment, budget, and other money related questions here
Kevin M

Post by Kevin M »

Our firm has a bunch of clients that invest in MLPs in taxable accounts. The K-1 schedules that report state by state income. Honestly, most of the MLPs I see report operating losses so multiple state filing isn't an issue.
We use $500 as the threshold to file in a particular state - I don't recall any of our clients filing in multiple states under this guideline - and we're talking clients that have $25k-100k invested in some of the MLPs.
The big mess with them is passive activity losses. It requires an extra form 8582 and the losses aren't deductible against regular income - only other passive income. (As defined by the IRS, I'm not talking passive income like a blog.) Also keeping track of basis is tricky with all the distributions, etc. Some, but not all, MLPs give you a nice wrap up when you sell so you just plug in your original cost and it gives you the net adjustment for all the years you've been invested.
Also, if you hold MLPs in an IRA watch out for UBTI (unrelated business taxable income) over $1,000, you'll have to file a 990-T for your IRA.

Steve Austin

Post by Steve Austin »

I hold shares of EPD, but entirely in a tax-advantaged account, and not yet enough to trigger the UBTI threshold. Because I prefer accounting simplicity, I won't hold MLPs in a taxable account. I reserve all my IRS form fun (special planning and finessing) for the 1040 (incl. Sch. D).

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

Another idea source is the Dividend Achievers list. Cross off anything that doesn't yield at least 3% (or 4% or whatever minimum you're comfortable with... 3% is generally considered a sweet spot). Stocks that are just below your yield threshold should go on your watch list after you've otherwise vetted them for your purposes. Stocks that are above the threshold are immediate candidates for further research.