Running the numbers on Food Costs...

Ask your investment, budget, and other money related questions here
Chad

Post by Chad »

I don't think it's false to say the evidence isn't conclusive. Basically, the researcher in the linked article found that the majority of medical studies have errors.
http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/arc ... ence/8269/
Do we have a better idea of what is healthy now than 40 years ago? Yes, but I don't see the level of information necessary to conclude that we are close to identifying the ideal.

M

Post by M »

@jeremey
The true cost for something isn't always reflected in what you pay for it at the super market.
My point is simply that a lot of the current research on nutrition is actually funded by organizations that will financially gain as a result of said research. The outcome of the research is, surprise surprise, always in favor of the organization(s) that sponsored the research to begin with.
This results in a great deal of disillusionment and disagreement on the subject. Health and nutrition have almost become a taboo subject, kind of like religion, sex, and politics. Which tells me that a lot of people are probably getting screwed, and a select few are making out like bandits, probably in the form of dividends, capitals gains ... Wait a second.
*starts whistling while slowly walking away*

InterfaceLeader

Post by InterfaceLeader »

A healthy diet should contain lots of veg, especially leafy greens, and a decent amount of varied fruits. After that, you can make up your protein, fibre and calories in almost any combination you want as long as you stay away from processed 'non' foods, refined sugar, high fructose corn syrup and other factory created flavours, and still get enough protein and complex B vitamins.
You can be a healthy vegan, healthy raw foodist, healthy paleo eater, healthy whole-foods eater. As long as you eat your greens and avoid sugar and HFCS, and pay attention to your body.