How long did it take to reach your first 100k? Howbout the second 100k?

Ask your investment, budget, and other money related questions here
tylerrr

Re: How long did it take to reach your first 100k? Howbout the second 100k?

Post by tylerrr »

jacob wrote:Given the very short periods of time it takes to accumulate FI under ERE, it also depends on whether you have "compound interest" working for you or against you.

People will have had EXTREMELY different experiences depending on whether they've been in it for e.g. 2004-2009 or 2009-2014. The former will feel like treading water or quicksand. The later will feel like having a rocket strapped on your back.

In addition, it will depend a lot on whether you're income has been in the $25-50k range or the 50-100k+ range. The former will fell like you're really working for it. The latter will feel like you played the game on cheat-mode.

Regardless, once you start accumulating enough so that your NW times even conservative returns start equaling your income (likely several years from hence), you will just be blowing by ever higher amounts of six figs---getting from 500k to 600k will happen in the blink of a eye. OTOH, you will also find that a market turndown can complete stomp or even reverse all the earned income you had over a year ... or two. Anyone who already accumulate significant NW and lived through 2008/09 will attest to that.

In summary, you will find that:
1) Initially, it mostly depends on how much you make + your savings rate. And it'll happen at the speed of your salary---for me this was very slow because I was in grad school.
2) In the medium game, it depends on whether you were lucky enough to have this happen during a bull market or unlucky to have it happen during a bear market.
3) In the end game, it's all market based. Your income no longer really matters.

At this point, I've experienced practically all the combinations possible. I recommend that anyone who haven't experienced the suckier ones yet (e.g. low income or markets that return -20%/year) to mentally prepare yourself. Meditate on it. Try to imagine how you would handle it WHEN it happens.
In 2008, the PP returned - 0.7 % and followed up in 2009 with a 10.5% gain.

So even in really bad times, people can sleep really well if they are super diversified similar to the PP.

Historically, the worst year for a PP was a -4.1 % loss.

This isn't necessarily a promotion for the PP, just saying if you're diversified enough, your lifestyle doesn't have to change that much year to year.

DividendGuy

Post by DividendGuy »

It took me about three years to hit my first $100k. That was on a pretty modest salary that I earned at a car dealership. I'm $85k into the second hundred thousand less than two years down the road. I don't really look at principle/net worth as my barometer of success, but that's been my experience with it.

humble_fi

Post by humble_fi »

It took me almost 6 years to reach $100K savings...but those were unwise years before I knew what FI was....before an accidental stumble onto Jacob's you tube presentation to a company :D Now, I am having much wiser years......

Since I use the investment money to generate passive income streams in my taxable account, I no longer care about the actual amount....I care about how much money it brings to the table each month in terms of passive income.

But, the chase for the first $100K was a rush for sure! Initially, the monthly passive income was so less that I had a hard time motivating myself. Watching the total dollars move towards $100K was a bigger motivation for me than passive income. After that, not much.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

humble_fi wrote:...before an accidental stumble onto Jacob's you tube presentation to a company
Huh? What?! I don't have any such youtube video.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

Just counting invested assets in my 401k, it was 4th quarter 1998 and 1st quarter 2004, roughly 11.5 and 17 years after I started working out of college. I did have a little home equity and money in the bank along the way so it's possible I hit both those thresholds earlier from a net worth perspective, but I'm too lazy to figure it out. That's probably very slow from an ERE perspective, although $100k 1980s dollars when I started is probably quite a bit more in 2015 dollars, so it's distorted some due to inflation.

humble_fi

Post by humble_fi »

jacob wrote:
humble_fi wrote:...before an accidental stumble onto Jacob's you tube presentation to a company
Huh? What?! I don't have any such youtube video.
Apologies for not being precise. IIRC, it was a meet-the-author interview/cast in a early retirement collection by a you tube user....was a huge eye opener for me :-)