So where is the much-touted inflation?

Ask your investment, budget, and other money related questions here
niemand

Re: So where is the much-touted inflation?

Post by niemand »

Not sure about points 1-3. Why should it be any different this time than the other times?

If you truly believe in the big inflation scenario then hard assets should serve you well, gold, possibly real estate?

Maybe also have a look at the Permanent Portfolio. It may be a better option if you don’t want to commit yourself to only one scenario (inflation in your case). The PP covers several scenarios (inflation, deflation, prosperity, recession).

Below is an example of the PP’ performance during the Iceland crash in 2008: while inflation was 18% and the Iceland stock market was down 90%, gold was up 182% and carried the portfolio into a +29% result.

(image pinched from Marc DeMesel)

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

A smart guy with a theory of why it's different this time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcPETh2B_uw

shemp

Post by shemp »

This has been discussed in other threads. Inflation is coming because there are only 3 ways to deal with massive government debts: pay them off with high taxes and low spending; wipe them out by sovereign default; inflate them away. Inflation is the path of least resistance. Argentina recently took the default option for some foreign debts denominated in dollars. For debts in their own currency, they took the much easier inflation option. Whole world will eventually emulate Argentina.

[Edit: Price inflation I expect is like 6%/year over 20 years. Combined with 5% interest rates (slightly negative) and higher income and capital gains taxes, this will bring down government debt/GDP by maybe 3% per year. These are ballpark figures. I certainly don't expect 50%/year inflation like in Argentina to occur in the USA, Europe or Japan.]

Timing is hard to predict. People in power usually prefer to kick the can down the road as long as possible, and that's exactly what they have been doing for decades now.

Owning real estate loaded down with fixed rate mortgages is the obvious hedge against inflation. Problem is timing. If inflation takes a while to arrive, you need to be sure you can service the mortgage in the meantime. Lots of people bought real estate after the 2009 crash, levered up, then got burnt when covid recently cut rents, and inflation they expected still hasn't arrived.

Likewise for people who bought gold in 2011, expecting it to continue going up. We have another thread on gold here. Gold is most definitely not a good investment for the very long term, regardless of inflation, though it might continue soaring for another couple years. Or it might not.

Personally, I think moderate P/E stocks are the simplest safe haven. Such stocks do okay in all environments except massive deflation, but massive deflation has pretty much been ruled out as an option by the authorities. So just go 100% stocks for money you won't need in the near future, though be sure you won't panic if market prices temporarily dip 50%, as they sometimes do.

Der Leiermann

Post by Der Leiermann »

niemand wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:07 am
Not sure about points 1-3. Why should it be any different this time than the other times?

If you truly believe in the big inflation scenario then hard assets should serve you well, gold, possibly real estate?

Maybe also have a look at the Permanent Portfolio. It may be a better option if you don’t want to commit yourself to only one scenario (inflation in your case). The PP covers several scenarios (inflation, deflation, prosperity, recession).

Below is an example of the PP’ performance during the Iceland crash in 2008: while inflation was 18% and the Iceland stock market was down 90%, gold was up 182% and carried the portfolio into a +29% result.

(image pinched from Marc DeMesel)
Really Interesting data on the PP in conjunction with Iceland's situation during the GFC. A 90% drop in share prices, extraordinary. But overall I find it hard to justify the Permanent Portfolio (also because of gold) and gold itself, simply because I believe my investment horizon is long enough to allow for a share heavy allocation. Given that I'm short-mid term a pessimist, over the very long term (30 years+) I'm actually quite optimistic that there will be real growth, hence I lean towards shares. But down the track when I get close to the withdrawing stage, a shift towards capital retention strategies like you mentioned certainly make sense.

shemp wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:40 am
This has been discussed in other threads. Inflation is coming because there are only 3 ways to deal with massive government debts: pay them off with high taxes and low spending; wipe them out by sovereign default; inflate them away. Inflation is the path of least resistance. Argentina recently took the default option for some foreign debts denominated in dollars. For debts in their own currency, they took the much easier inflation option. Whole world will eventually emulate Argentina.

[Edit: Price inflation I expect is like 6%/year over 20 years. Combined with 5% interest rates (slightly negative) and higher income and capital gains taxes, this will bring down government debt/GDP by maybe 3% per year. These are ballpark figures. I certainly don't expect 50%/year inflation like in Argentina to occur in the USA, Europe or Japan.]

Timing is hard to predict. People in power usually prefer to kick the can down the road as long as possible, and that's exactly what they have been doing for decades now.

Owning real estate loaded down with fixed rate mortgages is the obvious hedge against inflation. Problem is timing. If inflation takes a while to arrive, you need to be sure you can service the mortgage in the meantime. Lots of people bought real estate after the 2009 crash, levered up, then got burnt when covid recently cut rents, and inflation they expected still hasn't arrived.

Likewise for people who bought gold in 2011, expecting it to continue going up. We have another thread on gold here. Gold is most definitely not a good investment for the very long term, regardless of inflation, though it might continue soaring for another couple years. Or it might not.

Personally, I think moderate P/E stocks are the simplest safe haven. Such stocks do okay in all environments except massive deflation, but massive deflation has pretty much been ruled out as an option by the authorities. So just go 100% stocks for money you won't need in the near future, though be sure you won't panic if market prices temporarily dip 50%, as they sometimes do.
I agree with most of your post, inflating debt away is surely the easiest way that causes least upheaval, I see that as the most likely scenario by a fair margin. One unknown that's hard to predict is how and when central banks will raise interest rates, given how strong the backlash against any hike has been in particular in the US over the last 2-3 years. Another case of kicking the can down the road I suppose. Turkey is a good example of why politics and central banks don't go together too well. It'll also be interesting how the fragmented euro-zone will react to inflation and when to raise interest rates. A lot of potential conflicts there.

Thanks for advice re investments in stocks. As it's still early days for me when it comes to capital market investments (RE done), I can still make a meaningful use of DCA, so that should make the ride a bit less bumpy.

I believe you mentioned elsewhere you had a good experience with TIPS - do you see them or bonds in general making a comeback? In my mind bonds are dead as long as central banks are meddling in those markets to the extent that they have in the last 10 years but inflation may allow them to retreat.

binarybill

Post by binarybill »

This issue of the missing inflation has puzzled me for a long time. Then last month I read The Rise Of Carry by Tim Lee.

It explained many of the strange economic and monetary incidents that have happened over the last thirty years. It also made me realise that the lack of inflation, despite the vast amount of money printing, can't be fully understood within the paradigm of classical economics.

The carry trade is essentially a leveraged bet that future volatility will remain low. It leads to vast debt levels and is deeply deflationary. When volatility rises many traders have to unwind their positions leading to more volatility and a carry crash.

Every time the cycle repeats and ends in a carry crash, it takes exponentially more liquidity to restore confidence and stabilize the markets. One of these times even the combined might of the central banks, IMF and World Bank will not be enough to save the current international monetary system.

chrisreads

Post by chrisreads »

Der Leiermann wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:32 am
I agree with most of your post, inflating debt away is surely the easiest way that causes least upheaval, I see that as the most likely scenario by a fair margin.
Sounds like Fed Chairman is going to push for this. https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/24/powell- ... ation.html

The Old Man

Post by The Old Man »

shemp wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:40 am
Personally, I think moderate P/E stocks are the simplest safe haven.
In general, I agree, but we need to consider the ERE implications.

The 4% Rule was based on a 95% success rate using a stock/bond portfolio. The 5% failures occurred in the 60-70s. This time period was characterized by moderate inflation. The failures make sense since the portfolio composition of stocks/bonds do poorly in an inflationary environment. Trying to develop a better safe withdrawal rate is not the answer, because the problem is in the portfolio composition not the SWR.

Your solution does not address the weaknesses of the 4% Rule. Moderate inflation will lead to greater failures of the 4% Rule.

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

Thanks for the book rec, I got The Rise Of Carry.

giskard

Post by giskard »

The Old Man wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:21 pm

The 4% Rule was based on a 95% success rate using a stock/bond portfolio. The 5% failures occurred in the 60-70s. This time period was characterized by moderate inflation. The failures make sense since the portfolio composition of stocks/bonds do poorly in an inflationary environment. Trying to develop a better safe withdrawal rate is not the answer, because the problem is in the portfolio composition not the SWR.

Your solution does not address the weaknesses of the 4% Rule. Moderate inflation will lead to greater failures of the 4% Rule.
Yes which is why especially now it makes very little sense to hold bonds at all. 60/40 portfolio is broken now. Same as in the 70's we have negative real rates so you lose purchasing power on bonds. All of the scenarios suck when interest rates & real bond yields are at 5000 year lows.

- Best case scenario we get some deflation (and / or negative nominal rates and maybe positive real rates) and you get a tiny yield and maybe some appreciation.
- Likely case scenario: low real rates and negative real rates continue and you get paid back nominally but lose purchasing power
- Unlikely & terrible scenario: we get moderate / high inflation and you lose a ton of money in purchasing power.

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

Here it is. From someone on another forum for a different shared interest:
oh good, escrow is pushing our mortgage from $1350 to $1486 starting October
Spectum is going up $15 and our budget billing for the electric is being raised for October as well

niemand

Post by niemand »

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

hah, i saw that on bloomberg tv today

don’t know what to think anymore, but all weekend i was worried about shrinking wages, which hopefully i don’t have to now.

still i’m starting to slash the post-covid budget... these have been some expensive few months for me.

niemand

Post by niemand »

@Alpha: Eh? Negative inflation (= deflation) means decreasing price levels. This includes prices for things you buy AND sell. If you sell your labour for a wage, you should be worried about stagnating or shrinking wages in a negative inflation situation.

The sweet spot for an economy seems to be 2-3% inflation, higher or lower than that and it quickly gets tricky one way or another.

For an individual, I suppose the big question is: In what proportion will the price of what I sell change VS the price of what I buy?

In that regard, may the odds be ever in our favour :P

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

niemand wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:41 pm
In that regard, may the odds be ever in our favour :P
hahaha, yes.

i get the “natural” inflation sweet spot, but see: my worry before the news was rising prices in the short term which would eat into fixed wages already set for the fiscal year. no way to “charge more” at least till late 2021. and i’ve lived with hyperinflation before: it’s a horror. :(

anyway i’m not an economist but i have spotted rising prices in some items since last year (eg eggs, pots and pans, clothes), although i think they might be due to specific supply chain disruptions post-covid and/or trade tariffs, rather than overall inflation.

so i’m okay with a little deflation for the short term rather than the rumored high inflation we were supposed to be expecting from rumor & speculation. sigh of relief...

for the long term, deflation can depress supply, but i’m personally less worried about it because i have other prospects and can adjust/adapt outside of the wage stream as i decouple from it. and i’ve never lived in a deflationary spiral though, so i have no associated panic attached to the concept :D

Kevin K

Post by Kevin K »

Here's a good paper on this topic from Vanguard from 2018:

https://personal.vanguard.com/pdf/ISGGMMIN.pdf

And Tyler at Portfolio Charts has an excellent piece on cash that shows how something often thought of as "trash" (especially at today's interest rates) tends to work surprisingly well to protect against inflation:

https://portfoliocharts.com/2017/05/12/ ... -investor/

Seems to me that globally-diversified equities are the first line of defense. And while it's controversial, I also think that a slice of gold is worth considering not because it's an inflation hedge but because it does tend to do well during times when currency is being debased:

https://portfoliocharts.com/2020/08/21/ ... e-of-gold/

I'm not a big fan of TIPS, especially at today's negative rates but iBonds up to their yearly limit of 10K per person per year are a no-brainer now and always. But Jonathan Clements and other investment folks I respect are going with a short-term Treasury/short TIPs barbell for their bond allocations and I can see the appeal in terms of not betting one way or another on inflation and also not going out any further on the yield curve than necessary considering the awful risk:reward situation.