How to get rid of US coinage in Canada?

Ask your investment, budget, and other money related questions here
wringham

Post by wringham »

Ahoy!
My girlfriend has accumulated about a million dollars (okay, a slight exaggeration) worth of American pennies and dimes, acquired over the years through change given in stores etc.
How on Earth can we get rid of these? I know the currency exchange won't deal with coins. Do banks?
The challenge of getting rid of these is more entertaining than annoying but it would be good to hear people's suggestions before the floor of our apartment gives way under the weight.
R

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Use them as flooring material. It's similar pricing to tiles and it looks pretty spiffy. In a few years, you'll probably be able to use bills as wallpaper. That would make for the ultimate in interior decorating.

AlexOliver

Post by AlexOliver »

Go to the airport and get them changed? I have the same problem with Canadian coins.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

Spend them. US$ and C$ are close enough to parity that, at least in the US, I have no trouble spending them. You just can't use them in vending machines.
LOL... reminds me of a recent blog post where the author said he saved up the (local currency) coins and then took them to a bank so he could "turn them into real money" -- as if coins of the realm are fake money!?!

Chris

Post by Chris »

Convince a charity to accept foreign currency as donations. I read about this being done in the UK, and think it's a pretty cool idea. Much easier for people to part with pieces of metal that they can't spend locally. And it's simpler for a single organization to convert it all into "real money" than individuals doing it in small amounts.

wringham

Post by wringham »

Charity actually is a good solution. To anyone else interested in offloading foreign coins this way, here's a handy guide: http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_5907914_donat ... coins.html

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

One thing we did back when I was working was to do the exchange with a foreign visitor when he was heading back. He'd get rid of his local [to us] cash in exchange for his currency.
All you need to do is to find someone in Canada who's going to the US.
I still think the flooring looks cool. Here's another one

wringham

Post by wringham »

Whoa!