Retire from investing ?

Ask your investment, budget, and other money related questions here
Magda

Retire from investing ?

Post by Magda »

I suppose that FI/ERE folks have bigger chances of having a longer life span (more sleep, less stress etc). That's why my financial estimate involves dying at the age of 95 (I know, that's very optimistic).

I doubt that I will be mentally and physically capable of maintaining my investment portfolio at 80 or 90.

So I figured that I could "retire" from investing at 70 and put all the money into safer options, like bonds or a good savings account.
The consequence: the amount of money will start decreasing eventually, so I try to adjust my plan and have enough money to live until I'm 95.

Do you plan something similar in your FI/ERE ?

George the original one

Re: Retire from investing ?

Post by George the original one »

Yes. Starting about age 75 and finishing the shift by age 85.

bibacula

Post by bibacula »

When bonds sell off, I'll shift to a bond-heavy portfolio with infrequent rebalancings. I consider this investing retirement.

My withdrawal rate has fallen below 2%, and I've had a windfall that makes withdrawals unnecessary for the next several years.

There's just no reason to keep rolling the dice.

mikeBOS

Post by mikeBOS »

I've often wondered if I should think about protecting my assets from my future self, just in case dementia sets in, or I become emotionally unstable, or develop an opiate addiction. I would probably do it by putting a portion of my funds into an irrevocable trust or some kind of annuity or something.