Security vs. Opportunity

Ask your investment, budget, and other money related questions here
George the original one

Post by George the original one »

Modeled, pondered, hemmed & hawed. In the intervening time, Mr. Market has continued his generosity and Mr. Taxman took away a small chunk. A little more money is coming to me from mom's estate and a few extra expenses hit the pocketbook.
3 years seems like a long time to wait. 2.5 years looks better, if the investments and politics allow. The 2.5 year time horizon provides more flexibility and wife is not surprised that I might "pull a rabbit out of my hat".
So I realize that I don't have enough answers yet to make major strategy shifts. I will more closely evaluate future investments for the risk of losing capital.

noskich

Post by noskich »

Now this is an interesting question which is equally valid for people willing to retire in 20s and 30s. Since we want to minimise the time to ERE and maximise the funds that sustain us after ERE an argument can be built that we shouldn`t risk it.

So 100% of the funds that provide SWR should not be put in risky investments, anything above that may.

Ofcourse it may prolong the time needed to reach ERE, but than again exposure to risk and loss can do that as well.

I would say this would be determined by the personal preference toward risk tolerance.