Dividend Investing blogs and/or books

Ask your investment, budget, and other money related questions here
jezter6

Post by jezter6 »

I've read some of the nice passive income and leveraged income blogs here of some individual ERE'ers, but I'm at a loss in finding real quality blogs to read regularly that are a little more in depth than just what we have here.
Plus, of course, I'm a newbie to the idea, so I want to learn and not just see portfolio updates.
What do you guys read? Also, if you've read a great dividend investing book...please recommend it.
Thanks

Dream of Freedom

Post by Dream of Freedom »

The first one is easy. http://seekingalpha.com/ has thousands of articles written by people a lot like you and me. Many go into some depth, though watch out for a one sided sells pitch.
The second is a little more challenging. I have a couple of books on income investing and I wouldn't recommend them. But for general investing I would read quality of earnings by Thornton O'Glove or anything by Joel Greenblatt.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

Available via seekingalpha.com:
Dividend Growth Investor

David Fish

David Van Knapp

David Crosetti

Chuck Carnavale

Five Plus Investor (aka YoYoMama)

DividendGuy

Post by DividendGuy »

If you've already read some of the forum member's blogs, then you've probably already read mine.
As far as books go, I have personally read "The Intelligent Investor" and consider it fantastic. Not primarily a dividend investing book, it covers all the psychological warfare that investing incurs and this is very important.
I have also read Dividend Monk's (www.dividendmonk.com) e-book titled "The Dividend Toolkit". It's fantastic and focuses almost exclusively on dividend growth investing.
I would say these two books are fairly comprehensive.
Although I haven't read it personally, Lowell Miller's "The Single Best Investment" gets rave reviews. Primarily dividend growth investing fare.
Happy investing!

Beaudacious

Post by Beaudacious »

Anybody have any thoughts on The Dividend Yield Investor?

http://dividendyieldinvestor.blogspot.com/
Philosophy is based around the Permanent Portfolio, but goes into a little speculation it seems. Have to look past the occasional typo.

jezter6

Post by jezter6 »

I looked (and signed up for --grr!) Seeking Alpha. Interesting stuff, but not a whole lot of "for the n00b" stuff.
I guess what I'm trying to find a place to tell me is what the point of investing in 3% dividend returns when there are likely better returns available in just sitting on mutuals forever.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

Dividend growth means accepting 3%+ yields now while the dividend payments increase at a rate faster than inflation.
You may or may not achieve capital growth, but your income will rise. Bonds & CDs don't achieve the goal of growing income.
For instance, PEP paid a quarterly dividend of $0.15 in 2002 and is now paying a quarterly dividend of $0.537 in 2012. That's a 358% increase for the decade compared to inflation being 29% for the decade. All that without selling any shares.

larry

Post by larry »

I'm tracking my dividend portfolio online at:
http://dividendincomeinvesting.com/
It's not really much of a blog, but you can see the real world performance and my buys and sells. I update it on the 1st of every month.
Larry

OurLifeInc.

Post by OurLifeInc. »

@Larry I love your blog. I follow you on twitter and love when the first of the month rolls around and I see a tweet that it has been updated!!
@OP Single Best Investment by Lowell Miller is really good as is Dividends Don't Lie. So is the Dividend Investing Playbook by Josh Peters from Morningstar. From seeking alpha, everyone who has been mentioned thus far is great. One that I would add to the list is a commenter by the name of "chowder". He has an instablog on seeking alpha with some fantastic articles.

thebbqguy

Post by thebbqguy »

Here's a link that might help give you some ideas. The writer invests for a living. All indications are that he is fairly successful doing it.
http://investingforaliving.wordpress.com/

larry

Post by larry »

@OurLifeInc,
Glad you enjoy the portfolio updates.
I just signed up for fastgraphs from Chuck Carnevale and I've been a busy bee. It makes it pretty clear where a stock's valuation is compared to historical values and offers a glimpse of "Possible" returns over the next several years, if things go anywhere near what the analysts are predicting.
I've already found several possible new buys with projected long term returns of 20%.
From what I can tell most of the common dividend stocks are either completely valued or overvalued, so I'm having to dig deeper and deeper to find value.
Of course that may be a sign that I need to build cash and watch and wait.
We'll see how much patience I can muster.
Larry

epoch707

Post by epoch707 »

Patientcashflow.com is a good blog for building streams of passive income like dividends but also other investment vehicles.

Dividend Growth Investor

Post by Dividend Growth Investor »

I would read the following well written blog daily:
http://www.dividendgrowthinvestor.com/
End of commercial ;-)
DGI