Crisp New Money....

Ask your investment, budget, and other money related questions here
FrugalZen

Post by FrugalZen »

Been awhile since I posted...long story including dealing with my now ex-employers bankrupcty (company owned by Fenway Partners a Private Equity firm like Bain Capital...you can draw the lines...).
Anyway saw an article on MSN Money (can't get the link to post...sorry) about how a study was done and shows people tend to hoard Crisp new bills and spend old tattered ones...and even spend MORE in order to get rid of the tattered ones.
I will admit to being a New bill hoarder and especially like my $50's to be crisp and uncreased...sometimes I am NOT the bank tellers friend...LOL..(and get ribbed by people asking me if I Starch and Iron them..OK I think about it....Sheeeesh).
BUT I have no problem with having old tattered bills...I hate to spend any paper currency so I just sort them out and use them first when paying for something but do not believe I spend more just to get rid of them.
So what does everyone else think or do with crisp vs. tattered currency????
Do you believe you fall into the same category as most of the people in the study???

Hoplite

Post by Hoplite »

Welcome back!
I think this is the article you mention:

http://news.ca.msn.com/top-stories/we-s ... crisp-ones
I'm afraid that I'm an outlier here; I will spend really tattered bills so that they don't completely disintegrate while in my possession, but otherwise I don't like the crisp ones that stick together. I do, however, organize bills to face the same way grouped by denomination :)

Chad

Post by Chad »

I don't fall into the study, as I almost never use cash.

C40

Post by C40 »

I don't believe I've ever even considered this. I have no concern as long as the money isn't on the verge of falling apart into many pieces and potentially being rejected when I try to buy something. A dollar is a dollar to me.
Like Hoplite, I don't like brand new bills because they are harder to handle. I also sort the bills in order of denomination, facing the same way.

FrugalZen

Post by FrugalZen »

Thanks Hoplite...thats the link.
C40 I think is like me and I think everyone else here....its not really about the condition of the money but the fact that it is still in you possession that matters...LOL!!
Though I don't seem to have problems with the new bills sticking together...maybe its my tactile sense...I seem to be able to tell just by feel if the "bill" in my hand is too thick and double check to see if two are stuck together.

Phayen

Post by Phayen »

Another member here who sorts by denomination and makes sure the bills are all facing the same direction.

Haplo

Post by Haplo »

Like Hoplite, I don't like brand new bills because they are harder to handle. I also sort the bills in order of denomination, facing the same way.
Ditto. I prefer my bills somewhere between new and tore up. I don't know that I've ever made a conscious effort to get rid of certain bills for that reason though.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

I spend my damaged bills first. Reasons include:
1. My goal is to keep the bills in my wallet as long as possible. Old bills often appear they will tare or turn to dust faster.

2. Old bills appear loaded with disease, ass sweat, and drugs :)
I don't care how the bills are oriented but I do tend to group them in numbers from lowest to highest.

dragoncar

Post by dragoncar »

I eat my least favorite color M&Ms first, even though they all taste the same.

BeyondtheWrap

Post by BeyondtheWrap »

@dragoncar: When I eat chicken soup, I eat the meat at the end. Saving the best for last!

pooablo

Post by pooablo »

Hehe I don't like to keep a lot of cash on hand but I do organize the bills by denomination in my wallet. It makes things easier to handle. This talk of bills makes me think of my grandpa. He'll lug a wad of bills wrapped with an elastic band around them. What a baller!