Selling Ayurveda products - anyone has experience?

Ask your investment, budget, and other money related questions here
Marlene

Post by Marlene »

As of this month I´m going to sell Ayurveda products (no I don´t have to stock up first, I can order on demand) - so this should be a "when it doesn´t work, I land on zero".
Is there anyone of you that has experience with this kind of trade? Any other pitfalls I should avoid? Things I should definetely do?
And if there is no experience - would you be interested in a journal kind of type about this?

chenda

Post by chenda »

I have'nt, but I would be interested to hear about it :)
I've known a few people do Avon; I think they mostly sold to colleagues at large companies, where they didn't have to do much promotion to make themselves known.

GandK

Post by GandK »

My sister (an accountant) sells Arbonne products on the side. She got into it primarily because she likes to use Arbonne and wanted the salesperson's discount, but it turns out she's making some good money at it too. She really enjoys working with that company. (Full disclosure: I buy from her. LOVE Arbonne.)

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

My first business involved me getting suckered into a MLM scheme selling consumer electronics. Complete failure. I am so not a salesman.

Christopherjart

Post by Christopherjart »

Many people here have side incomes selling makeup or Herbalife, shoes, etc. I can't think of anyone actually making a lot, but if you have a lot of friends with good salaries who are not into saving, you might do well.

Marlene

Post by Marlene »

Thanks for the feedback everyone!
I can be a salesperson for things I can identify with, so that will be in order. I work in a company were several people have headaches, that could benefit from the Ayurveda-supplements and our wage is not pheonmenal but ok. And I think the EREistas around here will be 3 persons max.
@chenda: since so many people appear to have experience in this, I think I´ll confine my writings about this to my journal, sorry for the inconvenience.

chenda

Post by chenda »

@ marlene - No problem! I will read your journal :)

Stahlmann

Re:

Post by Stahlmann »

jacob wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:10 am
My first business involved me getting suckered into a MLM scheme selling consumer electronics. Complete failure. I am so not a salesman.
Oo
what was your motivation to do so (back then)?

fiby41

Re: Selling Ayurveda products - anyone has experience?

Post by fiby41 »

1. Last year a taxi we hailed via app in Moscow had Ayurvedic products on display on the front seat. She used to chat-up the customers and make a personalized recommendation before they got off. She had daily care- Patanjali toothpaste and Himalaya facewash and beauty- Kajal eyeliners and Multani facepacks. She personally preferred Himalaya although Dabur sold better but she kept Patanjali for the generic products. She gave us her card if anyone we knew wanted deliveries. She said she'd buy wholesale enough to fill a suitcase when returning from an annual vacation to Goa but I think its possible she could refill from local stores when that stock got exhausted if she wanted. It used to cover her vacation trip expenses and supplement her other income.

2. "Hey nice hair colour" "Thx" "I want to colour my hair but I'm afraid of the toxic chemicals" "Here is this natural haircolour I use..."

3. If the affordable cost is the selling point it'd be difficult to go via the MLM route. If efficacy of the medicine is the selling point the USA's FDA as a roadblock provides both a problem and an opportunity. Problem is someone recently (past 50 years) "patented" the "medicinal use of turmeric" as if everyone else cultivating it for use in medicine for three millennia was doing it just because. Opportunity is if you can smuggle in the products you can sell for heavy markup.

4. Subject to procurement of herbs almost all procedures are straightforward enough to be made at home.