Ideas for saving: saving by travelling

Ask your investment, budget, and other money related questions here
il-besa

Post by il-besa »

Hi ERers,

as many of you I'm always looking for ideas to save money without become miserable :)
I realized by experience that having a job that involve frequent travel (mine is 60%) has a different positive effects for an ERE-wannabe:
1. on business travel everything is on expense (big saving)

2. spending lot of time in hotels push you to live with little (lifestyle experience)

3. gives opportunity to evaluate location for your early retirement (planning help)

4. providing you don't overwork, gives you time to be alone, read, think, be
Has disadvantages too, but not from an ERE point of view I think...
Ciao

D

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

But but ... I thought the very goal of saving money was to become miserable?! :-D
Check out bripblap.com for a blogger who used to do a lot of corporate/jetsetting travel.
In academia, I traveled somewhere between 2 and 10 times a year---usually around 3-5 day periods In the beginning it was fun; eventually, it sort of turned into a drag. It got to a point where I'd pack my suitcase a few hours before leaving, jump on the airport bus, and just wing it all the way through.
When I was a student, the per diem would almost double my salary though; I saved it :-)
In general, I preferred, the few (2) collaborative stays which were much longer (5 weeks) to really learn about an area. Rather than staying in a hotel, I'd rent a room in a house and live more like the natives.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

But yes ... if you want to "see the world" (or at least some of it), one way is to seek out a career that involves travel. Before I retired, I had never paid for a plane ticket with my own money---of course I didn't really pick where to go.

Sven

Post by Sven »

I totally agree! :-)
I don't think all expenses are paid (empty the hotel bar for example ;-)), but yes, if you just do the same considerations as when you would be at home, then you should be able to put aside a lot of money. Usually per diems aren't taxed, so it could double your net income (which should make it easy to save a lot of money).
I personally prefer to stay in apart-hotels compared to a hotel.. after a while you just become crazy inside a hotel room. (renting a room is indeed also a possibility, but usually comes with more administration stuff) Advantage is also that it comes with a kitchen, which should enable you to save money on the going out for food part that is usually linked to a hotel stay.
You usually get to know a lot of people, which usually broadens your view on the world.. without needing to spend a lot of money to visit all those places in the world, people from all those places in the world come to 'you'!
Jacob is right, in the first place you can't really choose where you are heading.. but.. if you are allowed to put the airmiles on a personal frequent flyer card, you should be able to collect enough miles to spend on flights (and if you are lucky on hotels as well).
An additional advantage: if expenses are reimbursed at the end of the month, you can use credit cards with some loyalty program to advance the money.. which should result in you getting some freebies if you play it smart (just use the credit card for expenses that will be reimbursed and pay back the balance in full when you get that money back)
I think the biggest cons: distance with family and friends (if you are gone for a couple of months/years, then you should prepare yourself of missing out on nice moments) and the quite high probability of needing to do overtime (advantage is that you don't have time to spend that money ;-))!

il-besa

Post by il-besa »

Yes Sven,

I'm collecting airmiles and just got a credit card with airmiles program... and I'm thinking how/if I can maximize the advantages in other ways... any suggestion? :)
Jacob, I know it will get tiring so I've to enjoy it now at the most :)
Ciao!

D

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

I think the best thing you can do is get rid of the roots (home) if you are gone most of the time. You might have already done this, but see if family members would let you live with them when you are not gone. That way you are not paying living expenses for storage room:)
Do you drive your own vehicle most of the time or is this plane and rental vehicles more often?

il-besa

Post by il-besa »

Hi Matthew,

plane and taxis, so yes, I could get rid of the vehicles.

Currently thinking about downsizing the motorbike to a cheaper and older one. (sorry, I can't stay without :D)

Sven

Post by Sven »

Hi Matthew,
Transport largely depends on the assignment in my case. Usually plane and on site public transport/taxi/bike/foot, but if this is not feasible, then the company/client provides a lease/long-term rental car on site. During assignments in the 'neighborhood' of my home country, i drive my company car over there.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

If you have a company car then my idea doesn't work.
It is for if you have a site you have to commute a large distance to daily for several days in a row. Weather permitting and if your company lets you rack tons of reimbursable mileage on your vehicle.
You could stay at a camp site instead of actually commuting XXX miles each way every day, but still claim the mileage in your expense report. Of course, the savings would have to greatly offset the cost of the camp site. Not hard to do in the US at around half a dollar a mile. It also can save hours of personal time for yourself.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Closely related to saving by traveling is "saving by relocating". Having to relocate every so often (2-3 years) prevents one from accumulating a lot of stuff and from getting attached to one's stuff. Or at least it should.

il-besa

Post by il-besa »

Hi Jacob,

well I think there are also expenses in relocating often, if the goal is not accumulating and don't get attached this can be done with the right mindset....
I did an experiment: for 30 days I had to find something to through away from my house.

some days was just some paper, some days that useless souvenir I never enjoyed, some days an electronic obsoleted gadget and so on...

this simple experiment had teach me a lot, as well as travelling now is teaching me how little I do really need.
Ciao

D