BBC Speechless As Trader Tells Truth: "The Collapse Is Coming...And Goldman Rule

Ask your investment, budget, and other money related questions here
B

Post by B »

http://youtu.be/lqN3amj6AcE
What do you guys think? Does the general public have a right to be shocked at this? Years bitching about "the economy" and still so much ignorance.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Saw that when it came out. Eloiburgers caught in the headlights of the ruling class. No soap radio explained.

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

I generally agree, but what makes this guy such an authority?

DividendGuy

Post by DividendGuy »

Maybe I'm desensitized since I've become in control of my destiny and I've become informed about finance..but nothing this guy said at all surprised me. I was just nodding my head in agreement. I truly don't understand what the big deal is.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

@JohnnyH - What makes anyone an authority? Especially on financial news channels.
@Dividendguy - "The emperor has no clothes on!" Yeah, we all know it, but nobody had said it publicly.

frugalinCalifornia

Post by frugalinCalifornia »

@JohnnyH - I thing this guy was found out to just be some kind of poser - http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/85153,peo ... t-a-hoaxer.
"Asked why he accepted the BBC's invitation, Rastani said: "I'm an attention seeker. That is the main reason I speak. That is the reason I agreed to go on the BBC. Trading is a like a hobby. It is not a business. I am a talker. I talk a lot. I love the whole idea of public speaking."

m741

Post by m741 »

Yeah, this went around the internet 2-3 weeks ago and people realized that he was only trading as a hobby.

HSpencer

Post by HSpencer »

Occupy the ERE Forum!

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

Yes, his attempt to elaborate on how he was going to make money during this crash was weak to say the least.
Also, he presented almost no new information or a clearly formulated argument. I watched the whole video wondering if he had a point and when it was coming.
Wow, I am on the side of the "everything is fine" crowd for once!... I'm going to guy buy a house and some stocks before this feeling dissipates.

Surio

Post by Surio »

I heard of that clip when it came out, and decided not to post it here because I thought most of us (if not all) are not shocked at these messages!
This is exactly the anecdote I used elsewhere in the forum:

Al Gore's big houses were the constant object of discussion rather than his message about environment degradation.
The long but pointless discussions on Erin Callan (and her high heels, rather) in the middle of the 2007 financial crisis.
And now, Alessio Rastani's personal life and the fact he lives in an apartment (and a part-time trader) rather than the message he tried to give to people to wake up.

How does it matter if he is a part-time trader, or that lives in his girlfriend's apartment in South London, to the overall meaningfulness (or lack of it thereof,) of the message he is making in the video? And shortly after this interview, the following other details have surfaced in the blogosphere:

The BBC themselves issued a statement that he is the genuine deal.
Elsewhere I read he takes trading courses and is a bearish trader. Comments from people who attended his classes that he knew what he talked about, and was open in sharing pointers after class on tips, strategy etc....
He is also of Iranian origin and made a short dissent video on restrictions to free-movement and dating/courtship in repressive Tehran

But really, how do all these points affect the "real message" that he is making in that clip? Would his message been more potent if he was found to live an ultra-hedonistic lifestyle, boiled bunnies for breakfast and gone 'Muahahahaha' every third minute?
Sometimes I feel that the (global) society suffer from ad-hoc credentialism when it suits the need:
I am not that great on sit-coms or stand-ups, but someone once sent me a George Carlin clip (I am unable to find it), but it goes like this:

[...] limits of debate in this country are established before the debate even begins, and everyone else is marginalised and made to seem as either a communist, a kook, some sort of disloyal person or a conspiracy theorist – Something that shouldn’t even be entertained for a minute that powerful people might get together and have a plan. DOESN’T HAPPEN. You’re a kook and a conspiracy buff. ~ George Carlin

//rant//

Similarly, one is either a leftie or right-wing. If neither, then one is 'assumed' to be a (bleedin' heart) Liberal. One is either a capitalist or a (pinko) Commie! One is either this or that... nothing in between. There is no "e) None of the above" in such multiple choice tests that self-appointed media guardians issue.

//rant//
In this case, I like to mix two metaphors, "Something is rotten in the State of <.........>" and "The Emperor is wearing no clothes"
In this connection, may I also recommend the old classic "Earth plus 5%"

Surio

Post by Surio »

@JohnnyH,

I don't think he really had too much time to make any more points in the "5 minutes of fame" BBC deigned to allot him. Come on, we all know how network TV operates.... Presenter to guest on show: "this is very interesting, but we have to go off air for a 'few messages' so can you please expound on the secrets of the universe in the next 30 seconds!"
I also think it takes a very very rare breed to actually share their making money from the breakdown of markets strategy to all and sundry
Oh, I would say, his message is definitely "new"... It is just "not new" to most members of this forum, that's all ;-)

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

http://www.forbes.com/sites/emilylamber ... and-asked/
I got to say, I think this guy is an utter novice and a fraud, parroting things he read in trading 101 pamphlets.

Surio

Post by Surio »

@JohnnyH,

Did you read the comments in the article? All my points were from links shared there. Do you not think even for a minute that Forbes "edits" interviews for space and "could" phrase the answers to make it 'reader-friendly'?

Do you remember the write-up on Forbes blog about ERE? Or how they had projected EREers in that write-up?
The man is clued up (cf., see comments from someone who attended his seminars) and the man is a private trader who makes his money just like most of us who make money with private investments.
Again, I don't think Alessio (or even you or I) would simply start sharing trade secrets on a public soapbox with millions of strangers (for us, ERE being a very special case where people do write about their investments). I would still commend that Alessio had enough guts to say what he said in that platform. The BBC could have blotted him out, but kept him on air (Ratings game?). Let's not get too carried away by credentialism. Let's leave it to the mainstream media and vested interests.
Think what you may about him, but don't base it on just (official sanctioned) interviews.