I spent too much

Ask your investment, budget, and other money related questions here
Jon

Post by Jon »

I went to the bike shop intending to only spend the least amount of money on a new helmet and bicycling shorts.
Unfortunately, the saleswoman was both attractive and charismatic. Also, its a family owned business and is very much involved with the local bike scene, unlike a retail outlet. I softened up my tightly clenched wallet hand, and walked out the door with a $200 helmet, $160 padded bib, and $35 frame pump.
I guess the moral of the story is know EXACTLY what you want and be tougher than I was. Anyone else have any post-ERE exposure consumer revelations?

Steve Austin

Post by Steve Austin »

Couple of tips:

1) don't have a wallet: only carry with you as much cash as you're willing to spend for the item(s) you want -- this hard limit can be used as a negotiation lever (this has worked for me in a 7-Eleven, and in a bike store)

2) ask her to go on a ride with you; if she says yes, then perhaps it you won't mind the extra expense; if she says no, then you can shut down or at least mitigate her attractive/charismatic sales angle; if she says maybe, you're in no man's land ;-\

HSpencer

Post by HSpencer »

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

Shopping online is one way to avoid this... You can always say you're just browsing, or that you need to go measure you bike, or check with someone/something.
You can say you're just killing your work break or lunch hour and remember prices and products. Then decide later if it's rationally worth it.
Pretty sure all of us guys have made the same mistake.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Don't buy a $100 electric scooter thinking you will save on gas money until you know you will be comfortable on the routes you have to ride:)

rachels

Post by rachels »

Even with a pedicabber discount, I try not to buy anything in an actual bike shop unless I have to have it for work that night. It is almost always significantly cheaper online. Also, just keep your receipts whenever you go shopping. If I bring a purchase home and feel bad about it, I return it. The mild humiliation I feel when returning it helps discourage me from doing it again. :)

Cashflow

Post by Cashflow »

When I shop at the supermarket, I go with a list and stick to it. I do not let myself be influenced by other items on sale.
I also keep a wish list on Amazon. Sometimes I'm in a really good mood and will indulge myself by splurging on items I really don't need at the moment. But I will use the items sooner or later, so I rationalize this as an investment.
I will sometimes buy items I really don't need at networking and community events. Someone might be selling a homemade DVD for $20, for example, and I will buy one as a show of support for the local artist or entrepreneur.
I never return items for a refund (unless they are defective). If I buy something I really don't need and feel bad about it after wards, I take the experience as a lesson never to do it again.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Mmmm ... no :)
What I usually do is to put it on a wish list or start bidding on eBay. I tend to lose a lot on eBay, which means that I'll usually lose interest after a few weeks of bidding.
About a month ago or so I was trying to acquire a ukulele, because I figured it would be interesting. Today, naahh.. I'm no longer that interested.
Like other said, buying online helps a lot.
I only go into a store as an absolute last resort.

Jon

Post by Jon »

Thanks for the replies.
I definitely learned my lesson on this one. I bought all of these items to fill an a fairly immediate need right after getting the bike. I probably wouldn't need the bib if I lost some weight and pedaled harder. I won't return them, because I'm satisfied with them despite the cost. Normally stores don't snag me like this one did, but some guys from work referred me here and the store organizes weekly rides for anyone to come for free.
It also got me thinking that many amateur sports are a consumer trap. Basically you spend obscene amounts of money to compete in a sport you probably won't be especially competitive at, which is when the sandbaggers and posers appear.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Unless you're already very good, most sports I can think of requires more time than money to be competitive. I saw that when I played hockey. Better to get a $15 stick and spend 10 hours practicing than get a $150 carbon wonder stick and spend half an hour practicing. Most people are seriously over equipped.
BTW for biking, follow the clearances and codes on nashbar, they seem to have particular good deals on clothing.
If you ever need parts, I get most of my supplies from niagara cycles.

Checking Carly

Post by Checking Carly »

Here's what I recommend:

Go into the store to look at bikes, equipments, a DVD player, or whatever you think you need to compare models, find the one with the best features, etc. Write down any good deals you think you see.
Go online. Look up those same exact models online and see it they're any cheaper (they usually are) Add in the cost of shipping and see if its still worth it.
Look up online coupon codes to see if you can get a discount on an expensive item (i.e. free shipping if you spend over $50 or something.
Then buy it if the price is right. Setting a budget before you start shopping can be really helpful too. Say to yourself "I'm not going to spend more than X amount of dollars"
I also like Jacob's suggestion about eBay bidding. You usually lose more than you win, and you'll only continue to chase the product if you really want or need it.

Kevin M

Post by Kevin M »

Can't you return the items, assuming you haven't used them yet?
I try to avoid stores and use Amazon.com or Craigslist for shopping. But I don't really buy anything except food, clothing or woodworking supplies anymore.
Jacob has a great point re: hockey - I always laughed when someone got pissed about a $100 composite hockey stick breaking when I kept chugging along with my $15 twig.