Investments Trade Log

Ask your investment, budget, and other money related questions here
jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 73

Re: Investments Trade Log

Post by jacob » Wed May 29, 2019 8:08 am

Yield curve getting pressured again. Inversion breaking below March 2019. I see 3 month CD rates at 2.4% now.

Seppia

Post by Seppia » Wed May 29, 2019 9:52 am

Seppia wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 7:28 pm
BAT
I’m not proud of it and I feel dirty, but I did buy a few recently.
And on they go to lose 7% in three days lol
This is karma biting me in the ass for being such a horrible human being.
Well deserved.

Seppia

Post by Seppia » Wed May 29, 2019 9:56 am

@jacob
It feels like this bull market really wants to die, but always manages to survive one way or another.
My completely rational prediction is that Trump is a very lucky man: I bet the bear market starts soon after the election (if he loses), so that he can claim forever that “dems destroyed the stock market”.
If he wins, who knows.

Augustus

Post by Augustus » Wed May 29, 2019 4:02 pm

Real estate in my area is on track to have the most active inventory since 2011, in the past whenever real estate has hit this level of active inventory it has almost always had a correction. I am hoping the bull market finally kicks the bucket soon. I wouldn't be surprised if it takes a couple years to bottom out though. But who knows..

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave » Wed May 29, 2019 7:29 pm

Seppia wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 9:56 am
@jacob
It feels like this bull market really wants to die, but always manages to survive one way or another.
My completely rational prediction is that Trump is a very lucky man: I bet the bear market starts soon after the election (if he loses), so that he can claim forever that “dems destroyed the stock market”.
If he wins, who knows.
If the dems prevail and do all the taxing they "promise", then yes they'll trigger a significant recession, of that I am as certain as I can be. Trump might trigger one himself before the election. Playing hardball against China is not easy (but in the long run, it's necessary IMO) even if the US were unified behind him. As it is China can just wait (historically that gov't has no compunction about putting its people through difficult times) and hope their old crony Biden gets back in so they can cash in on their "investment" with Hunter.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal » Wed May 29, 2019 9:40 pm

IlliniDave wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 7:29 pm
If the dems prevail and do all the taxing they "promise", then yes they'll trigger a significant recession, of that I am as certain as I can be.
If this taxation has retributive effects (which is basically what the dems want), I believe the velocity of money will begin to increase as well. The increased QE monetary supply will finally translate into a bit more consumer "spending" vs investments. This will lead to higher demand-side inflationary pressures. Unfortunately, if our (the US) cheap supply line of consumer goods is disrupted from China, we could be looking at both supply side inflation as well.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:55 am

Powell put (yesterday). The market is now priced in for a cut later this year.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:29 am

Today's headline: "Stocks rise as disappointing jobs report fuels hopes of a Fed rate cut".

I think this could be a title of a movie ... or a forensic report. It's that good.

Seppia

Post by Seppia » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:15 pm

The main reason why I haven't been implementing any big changes in my approach in the last few years is that I have absolutely no grasp on today's reality.
I am used to not understanding a lot of stuff, but so many things happening are completely counter to all I consider "sane" (the above mentioned title, bitcoin, politics in general), that I feel the only logical reaction is to stay put and / or just implement minor tweaks
carry more cash
go a bit more defensive with stocks
etc
but everything I do, I do it slow and smooth, nothing sudden.

It's been at least 4 years I expect something big to happen, but it never did, so I'm glad I didn't get overly excited nor overly gloomy

I'm always amazed at how the old "when in doubt, do nothing" adage proves to be great advice time and time again

oldbeyond

Post by oldbeyond » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:53 am

The reasoning seems to be that the long term equity return is also always the short term equity return, making the ever lower discount rates a boon. I don't think we'll get our God-given 8% per annum going forward given what treasury yields are telling us about the economy, but perhaps that's only because us heretics will bring the miracle down with our lack of faith and blasphemous inquiries.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:17 am

Seppia wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:15 pm
The main reason why I haven't been implementing any big changes in my approach in the last few years is that I have absolutely no grasp on today's reality.
Ha, the same is true for me except I'd just strike "today's". The whole time I've been investing (I'm in decade 4) It's been rare that the short-/intermediate-term movement of stock prices made sense. It's gaggles of people speculating on how to exploit the effect of different gaggles of people's speculation how to exploit the effect of yet more gaggles of people's speculation on how to exploit a generally unknown future.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:20 am

jacob wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:29 am
Today's headline: "Stocks rise as disappointing jobs report fuels hopes of a Fed rate cut".

I think this could be a title of a movie ... or a forensic report. It's that good.
I've been chuckling at the superficial illogic of this type of cycle for several years now: Good news, market down; bad news, market up. If I weren't an "over-saver" I might lose sleep over it.

Lemur

Post by Lemur » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:46 pm

Keeping my eye on this...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slack_Technologies

IPO expected June 20 I believe.

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:53 pm

Exchanged $20k of IVV for cash yesterday morning. Bringing AA down to 55% equities.

Strange times we live in, bad news = good for the markets? Makes sense....

Dream of Freedom

Post by Dream of Freedom » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:52 pm

Bought PSTL @ 15.97. I've had good luck with reit IPOs. They can grow fast with all the new money and the dividend entices new investors eventually.

Seppia

Post by Seppia » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:10 pm

Great note dropped today from Oaktree (Howard Marks)

https://www.oaktreecapital.com/docs/def ... ferent.pdf

Dream of Freedom

Post by Dream of Freedom » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:42 am

Bought MMM @ 168.89

Dream of Freedom

Post by Dream of Freedom » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:29 pm

Bought DEA @18.65

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:01 pm

@Seppia - Did you read Howard Mark's [latest] book about cyclical investing? It's been working rather well for me over the past 2 years. Powell on Wednesday will be interesting.

Seppia

Post by Seppia » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:48 pm

No but it’s on my list since I heard the podcast where he spoke about it with Barry Ritholtz.
Aside from the usefulness, did you enjoy reading it?

Edit
A good interview with him
https://themarket.ch/interview/investor ... ing-ld.259
Last edited by Seppia on Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.