Investments Trade Log

Ask your investment, budget, and other money related questions here
giskard

Re: Investments Trade Log

Post by giskard »

Lucky C wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:59 am
I had sold half my SLV at the big open Monday. Now that it's back down and appears to be acting more normally to me, I bought back in. Doesn't look like anything is wrong with the intermediate-long term trend. If it rises again past the Monday highs, even better.
Yeah and it's flat today. That was the right call imo.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

i cashed out of ethereum yesterday when it hit $1550. i originally bought at $600 (unfortunately i didnt buy and hold, so i didn't realize the full gains, but i made 50% since december.)

today it hit >1650 💩

it's ok, could have gone the other way too, and i'm investing my lottery winnings on ere tools (soldering iron etc should pay off in the long term).

Bankai

Post by Bankai »

You think you missed a big move? Look at my flop of the century from last week ($FLGT) - green arrows are buys, red - sells, sold out everything on the day with 3 red arrows...

And 4 days later...

Something something let your winners run...

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

brilliant! :D

plantingtheseed

Post by plantingtheseed »

Such pretty candles! :lol:
Last edited by plantingtheseed on Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

So you were basically day trading?

I could never do that but you seem to have done pretty well.
If you start looking at “what could have been” you’ll always kick yourself one way or the other.

Bankai

Post by Bankai »

@Seppia: No, day trading is ending each day 100% in cash while I held this one for 3 weeks - I was selling half when it got extended and buying that same half back on pullbacks to 10-day moving average. I totally agree that 'shoulda coulda woulda' is counterproductive. Most of the time it's best not to look at stocks you sold until a couple of months later when you do your post-trade analysis. Unless you expect it to set up again and want to keep an eye on it.

Here's another lesson from this one - I sold it on the first day of the recent pullback. But it was one of the only 2 of my stocks that weren't going down on that day. So it makes sense to keep the ones that are acting strong in a weak market.

giskard

Post by giskard »

I've been using Kuppy's KEDM (kedm.com) list of interesting event driven stocks. Lot of good stuff on there to sell puts against.

Today I sold some more puts on BTU (nearly bankrupt metalurgical coal miner). And MP (US rare earth miner / processor).

Had an order to sell a put on PLTR queued up but its not going to fill because it popped 10% today. Looking at selling more puts on UUUU, since IV is over 100%, but again it popped 10% today and price is moving away from me.
Last edited by giskard on Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

my experiments with robinhood are over due to the toy style interface, not from any gme stories. i made a little money with them but could have equally lost it.

nevertheless seeing btc spike this morning made me regret missing out right now. but lack of tools make people lose money.

anybody got a recommendation for a broker? would like 24h forex trade and decent crypto speculation tools.

been looking at interactive brokers which offers low forex spread and what looks like free algos (never used algos previously).

who here likes their brokerage? im looking to day or swing trade, not invest...

not ready for options yet but at some point would like the option :D

giskard

Post by giskard »

Alphaville wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:53 am
anybody got a recommendation for a broker? would like 24h forex trade and decent crypto speculation tools.
I use TD Ameritade / Think Or Swim for options. Interactive brokers to buy foreign stock (on TSX for example). And various US based more regulated exchanges for crypto (Coinbase, Gemini).

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

giskard wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:40 pm
I use TD Ameritade / Think Or Swim for options. Interactive brokers to buy foreign stock (on TSX for example). And various US based more regulated exchanges for crypto (Coinbase, Gemini).
oh, nice, so --multiple ones.

will read up on coinbase, thanks!

Bankai

Post by Bankai »

Alphaville wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:53 am
im looking to day or swing trade, not invest...
Why do you want to day trade?

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

Bankai wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:08 pm
Why do you want to day trade?
semi-ere fun& profit

but mainly profit. the fun is a really nice side effect of something that is so engaging, intellectually challenging, always fresh, etc.

Bankai

Post by Bankai »

But it's basically a full-time job in a cut-throat environment... maybe fun but unlikely profit, plus trading for fun rarely works. Swing trading sounds better tbh.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

Bankai wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:13 pm
But it's basically a full-time job in a cut-throat environment... maybe fun but unlikely profit, plus trading for fun rarely works. Swing trading sounds better tbh.
that depends on what one is trading, what the markets are doing, etc.

i thought you were asking to recommend a broker, but it sounds like you want to question my choices lol. maybe im reading it wrong? please let me know, i don't know how to proceed.

Bankai

Post by Bankai »

Was just curious what motivated you do start day trading. Hope it works out for you. Sorry can't help you with brokers as I'm not in the US.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

Bankai wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:47 pm
Was just curious what motivated you do start day trading. Hope it works out for you. Sorry can't help you with brokers as I'm not in the US.
ah! ok, thanks for explaining.

my original question was for a broker for day and swing trading, so im not saying day trading exclusively.

trading is attractive to me for a number of reasons too long to enumerate, the first one being, to quote clark gable in "the misfits," that "it's better than a wage" :lol:

i've been employed, and i've been self-employed, and i enjoyed self-employment better, but still i had to work for the client. trading is certainly a challenge, but the fact that it requires no interpersonal dynamics is a huge plus for me. the feedback is 100% objective.

and i say trading not investing , because i'm interested in short-term speculation, not decades-long moves. my investments are handled elsewhere by professionals--this is something else, using risk capital.

as for day or swing trading, it really depends on the market, because different instruments behave differently.

however, one advantage of day trades as i've experienced is that they don't make me wake up in the middle of the night wondering what my money is doing :lol:

seriously though, whenever i have a trade going overnight or longer, i'll wake up at 1am and see what it's doing. it's nice to be able to shut down the computer and think about something else.

so i'm not aiming for massive wins, just a little day scalping.

i'm not saying this to verbally philosophize about it though, because my plan is to empirically test things, and adjust as i get feedback. empiricism beats rationalism in practice--and that's how i found i need a better broker with more/better tools.

ajcoleman22

Post by ajcoleman22 »

The top is close. The number of investment conversations I have had with people that have never considered investing before has gone exponential.

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

next dip will be bought quickly. recency bias.

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

Rolled down another NOK call. Now have the March 5 expiring at $4.50. Cost basis is $4.53. I'm happy to nearly break-even if it happens.

MAC may have bottomed. That was the first time I ever dialed into a earnings call. I'm still down significantly on this one but cost basis is in the 17s. Stock is trading high 12s.