Investments Trade Log

Ask your investment, budget, and other money related questions here
tylerrr

Post by tylerrr »

I've now made 26% on BAC since my purchase in 2011....:)
Tell me people....would you sell it all now? Or ride this baby some more?

Maus

Post by Maus »

@tylerrr

BAC has been fairly volatile in the past couple of years. I bought BAC at $45/s when it paid a 5% dividend. Then it didn't and dropped like a stone. You have to consider it a capital gains growth stock now. But how is it achieving "growth" in the current environment? By battening on 0.25% Fed funds and buying the 10YR T-Note for the spread. That won't last forever.
If I were you, I'd sell now; then buy again on the dip. Rinse, lather, repeat. But if you're doing that in a taxable account, be prepared to file your Sched. D and pay some capital gains tax.

tylerrr

Post by tylerrr »

@Maus,
thanks, I see nothing wrong with selling and taking a 26% profit...:)
But I'm not sure it will go much lower like you think....
But we shall see...:) If it does, I can buy more like you suggested.
It's not in a taxable account either.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

Bought 18 VIX Sep calls (strike 21) today.

dragoncar

Post by dragoncar »

Uh... rebalanced my PP (cash at 35%). I kinda failed this thread.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

Sold 80% of my GE. Mr. Market was hitting GE pretty hard and it was about the only thing in my portfolio going down today.
Perhaps it was merely the reaction to a new 52 week high on Friday. More sinisterly, perhaps it's the reaction to European unemployment figures announced over the weekend. I went with the latter.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Is there a certain return that you would be happy with, and would take your profits for the year and ride things out? 10% 15% 20%? Does anyone set specific targets? Does anyone judge by annual returns, or only rolling averages?
I guess my question is, if you were up a certain percentage (and what percentage), would you put a lot of money back into cash to capture your returns for the year?

George the original one

I use stop losses to tell me when to sell, to protect my (hopefully) profits. Typically I'll sell a portion of the position rather than all of it. Everything I own generates dividends, so I'd rather stay invested when it seems more profitable in the long run.
Profits above 30% per year are pretty hard to generate, so I'm inclined to tighten my stop loss on a particular stock when it happens.

Maus

Post by Maus »

Transferred 5% of my VTSMX to VMMXX in the 401(k) at $34.26/s. Since January, I started the position in VMMXX with my entire monthly contribution and have begun dollar value averaging rather than dollar cost averaging the VTSMX portion of the portfolio. This has worked great, and I've essentially locked in a 12% return for the year already. If the share price drops below the average purchase price threshold, I use VMMXX to buy back into VTSMX. I wish I'd known about dollar value averaging when I started using the 401(k) ten years ago. It's good stuff, people!

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

Yes! Get to rebalance PP tomorrow!... Sad how much that excites me. :D

Goals: *try to spread ETF risk across more companies

*re-evaluate/tweak: 19% of equities in internationals / 25% gold allocation in silver.

*Yields in cash allocation continue to fall: look for rewards checking account(s) and/or tradable synthetic long USD

*Up margin utilization another 10% (3rd year using margin for PP, whethered all storms well. Even backtested OK for 08.)
From 3 months ago:

"Am now short UDNT to create a synthetic long dollar position. Hoping to capture some of that leveraged ETF decay in the process."
This worked great. However, IB could not locate all my shares to short and had to close almost all of my position at one point. So in short (haha) you cannot count on being able to short these leveraged ETFs.

xxxsrxxxx

Post by xxxsrxxxx »

Depending on your appetite for risk there are some really great yields available in Spanish and Portuguese companies right now.
Portugal Telecom (PT) has a good yield, even with the cutbacks and is set to rebound price-wise if Europe gets their act together. They have basically a monopoly in portugal and are expanding in Brazil. Certainly riskier than JNJ but personally I don't believe the company is going to fold. I also believe that once they weather the storm they will return to their normal dividends which are much higher than stateside telecoms.
Same goes with Telefonica, Spain's telecom. Similar in nature. They halted their dividend for 2012 so I am going to look back in November and check the price. If it is still near all time lows and europe has not imploded I will make a play. I believe that baring catastrophe they will bring back their dividend/sharebuyback program in 2013.

Maus

Post by Maus »

Transferred 10% of VTSMX to VMMXX in 401(k) to take profits for the third time this year.
Also added 100 IAU at $15.75/s to my PP subportfolio and rebalanced the other three assets (VTSMX for stock, TLT & TIP for bond, ING Savings for cash) to the new gold balance.
I am really pleased with the PP's low-volatility performance.

ExpatERE

Post by ExpatERE »

Not much action in here. Don't blame you. Markets seem a little ahead of themselves. Good for the net worth, not so much for buying. I did pick up a few shares of INTC today for 24.17. These were for my IRA. If INTC continues to get beat down next week I may add a position to my taxable account.

George the original one

LOL, I sold INTC today. <20% of companies that lower their forecasts will have a higher stock price in a year, so the odds favor my move in the short term.
I'm okay with the broader market, but the "balance of power" is shifting as to what sectors will do well.

RelicO

Post by RelicO »

Guys and gals, what do you think of KFT and all of the upcoming hubbub? What an interesting and somewhat confusing jumble of occurrences!
I think I understand it, 3 shares KFT = 1 share KRFT and 3 shares of MDLZ. Dividend for KRFT will be 2 bucks a share, dividend for MDLZ as of yet undetermined (the fact sheet on the website says "modest" dividend for MDLZ).
Who is buying? Do you think MDLZ will go real high, due to the pent up demand for snack food internationally?

DividendGuy

Post by DividendGuy »

I haven't posted on here in a while!!!
Since my last post, I've purchased:
30 shares of EMR

60 shares of KMI

50 shares of INTC

15 shares of CVX

14 shares of MCD
I just posted my purchase of KMI:
http://www.dividendmantra.com/2012/09/recent-buy.html

George the original one

AGNC tripped my tight stop loss today, so it is gone.

George the original one

INTC price has fallen enough that yield is 4%. This is now a favorable entry point despite the lowered earnings guidance, so I nibbled today. They go ex-dividend soon, about Nov 5.

OurLifeInc.

Post by OurLifeInc. »

Bought into INTC at 3.6 yield, roughly...wouldn't mind buying more soon.
Bought KMI today at $35.

George the original one

VKQ, my favored municipal bond fund, dropped to a very low premium over net asset value (NAV) for the first time in ages. I haven't owned any for awhile, not since selling at +6% premium to NAV, so bought a little.