Transfer from Betterment to Vanguard

Ask your investment, budget, and other money related questions here
Frugalchicos

Re: Transfer from Betterment to Vanguard

Post by Frugalchicos »

Thanks all, for now I will keep doing what I am doing and when we move we will fly under the radar. I will always have a us mail address and a phone number. What i get from everything I read is that as far as you don’t give up your location, you are good to go.

I don’t have a problem with Atm since i have a bank account in Spain.

@Seppia - I will have a look at HSBC since it seems it is the only option that makes sense for this particular scenario. I don’t mind flying under the radar, but I want to be able to sleep sound knowing we have a solid investment plan that is 100% legal.

WFJ

Re: Transfer from Betterment to Vanguard

Post by WFJ »

Frugalchicos wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:40 pm
Thanks all, for now I will keep doing what I am doing and when we move we will fly under the radar. I will always have a us mail address and a phone number. What i get from everything I read is that as far as you don’t give up your location, you are good to go.

I don’t have a problem with Atm since i have a bank account in Spain.

@Seppia - I will have a look at HSBC since it seems it is the only option that makes sense for this particular scenario. I don’t mind flying under the radar, but I want to be able to sleep sound knowing we have a solid investment plan that is 100% legal.
Mentioned above, but important. Initiate transfer at receiving institution do "In-kind" full transfer and close accounts at outgoing institution a few weeks after transfer is complete. Medallion signature is free (transfers over around $10k), but in my experience, must be completed in person with current state/federal issued ID (might be different for other Financial Institutions). Cash/money funds are sometimes liquidated and not transferable but almost all stocks and ETFs are transferred in kind, not a taxable event.

I've used Schwab internationally and seems to work well. Once lost an ATM card while traveling and one new one arrived in about 48 hours, no international ATM fees and usually a competitive exchange rate compared to other banks.