TPS vs. Community

Ask your investment, budget, and other money related questions here
WFJ

TPS vs. Community

Post by WFJ »

Not sure if this is a Money or Lifestyle question... Where the questions is placed will probably influence the answer, but a philosophical first world problem.

Is it preferred to bust out TPS reports as long as possible to create a miniscule SWR with ample buffers and safety nets to afford any products or services one would ever need OR develop a twilight career that helps build community in the hopes that any unforeseen expenses (health, housing, transportation, food, etc.) will be mitigated by the community?

An example would be if one had the goal of ERE in Hawaii (or any tropical island) and the choice would be to either bang out TPS reports in some dreary Matrix-like existence to maximize net worth until the last possible minute of sanity/health with barely the energy to carry one's cardboard boxes of HR training certificates and teamwork achievement plaques out of the office vs. moving to desired destination with a 10-20 yr glide path to retirement and becoming a teacher/nurse/volunteer.

In an ideal world, one would be able to diversify these strategies (possibly remote TPS part time work and volunteer/build community) but if not, which one is a preferred strategy and why? Are people who TPS maximize better worse than those who community maximize when the overall utility of the choice is examined from a cumulative basis over a 30-50 yr time period?

Some assumptions: Once TPS production is forgone, one can't return or most likely will return in a significantly diminished production level. One is top 20% of TPS production.

Clearly the default in the US is a 100% TPS production model while other cultures appear to encourage more of a mixed strategy (multi-generational/family dwellings income/expense sharing). Over my lifetime, I have heard most older non-ERE individuals urge younger people to maximize revenue while young, although I have never heard anyone relenting they retired too early (but there is significant selection bias as those who retire too early who return to work in back offices out of sight of most people, rarely/never share their life-planning blunders).

Lemur

Re: TPS vs. Community

Post by Lemur »

Sounds like individual preference, but one's culture probably plays a choice in the matter in how they're brought up...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hofstede% ... ons_theory
https://psychology.wikia.org/wiki/Colle ... t_cultures

I would say in an individualist culture, you're more likely to go down the TPS report route. If you're brought up in a collectivist culture, one may try a more community like approach.

My grandfather taught me something similar - he regrets staying at one job for 40+ years. He was brought up to be loyal to his organization but recognizes in his old age that had he job hopped he could have made a lot more money. People were just not heavily careerist in his day (silent generation). On the other hand though, he has spoke highly of staying with one employer. His work had some benefits though due to the travel. It seems where I live my grandfather knows damn near everyone. Countless times I've heard him say "Yeah that tire shop near the Johnson intersection, I know the owners; met him 30 years ago" or something similar along those lines. He also has a ton of friends from his working days that he still chats with. I could never imagine staying in touch with my co-workers until my death.

I'd say the former has more benefits if you can stick to it... Money collected fasted compounds quicker...and then the sooner you get your free time from accumulation building, you can have all the time in the world towards building a different life / community afterwards. Then again...one need not to suffer during the accumulation phase - with high savings rate, we know the real timeline is 5-10 years. I think golden handcuffs is a problem here.
Last edited by Lemur on Thu May 20, 2021 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

in an ideal world you find work you love with no tps reports and no difference between work and play, have a great community, and never have to quit 😜

the real world is a different story, and there are tradeoffs.

chenda

Post by chenda »

What is TPS ?

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

chenda wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 4:16 pm
What is TPS ?
https://youtu.be/mBdjkmwwl9g

knowing mike judge's work, it's probably a toilet paper joke

https://youtu.be/4yMNzT2bx4k

actually never mind lmao. it's real! :lol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TPS_report

but i like to think it's more mike judge's subconscious at work because when he eats too much sugar he becomes the great cornholio :lol:

chenda

Post by chenda »

:lol:

Its scary how old fashioned a 1990s office looks like now...

Its a question I've been thinking about...I am also not sure

ducknald_don

Post by ducknald_don »

I was thinking recently that I haven't worked in an office since 1998, I have no idea how they work now other than the fax machine is gone. I'm sure I'd struggle to navigate the political landscape.

WFJ

Post by WFJ »

Lemur wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 3:59 pm
Sounds like individual preference, but one's culture probably plays a choice in the matter in how they're brought up...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hofstede% ... ons_theory
https://psychology.wikia.org/wiki/Colle ... t_cultures

I would say in an individualist culture, you're more likely to go down the TPS report route. If you're brought up in a collectivist culture, one may try a more community like approach.

My grandfather taught me something similar - he regrets staying at one job for 40+ years. He was brought up to be loyal to his organization but recognizes in his old age that had he job hopped he could have made a lot more money. People were just not heavily careerist in his day (silent generation). On the other hand though, he has spoke highly of staying with one employer. His work had some benefits though due to the travel. It seems where I live my grandfather knows damn near everyone. Countless times I've heard him say "Yeah that tire shop near the Johnson intersection, I know the owners; met him 30 years ago" or something similar along those lines. He also has a ton of friends from his working days that he still chats with. I could never imagine staying in touch with my co-workers until my death.

I'd say the former has more benefits if you can stick to it... Money collected fasted compounds quicker...and then the sooner you get your free time from accumulation building, you can have all the time in the world towards building a different life / community afterwards. Then again...one need not to suffer during the accumulation phase - with high savings rate, we know the real timeline is 5-10 years. I think golden handcuffs is a problem here.
There is probably some "generational time dilation" involved where somebody 60 today can only observe the world as a 20 year old 40 years ago, but can't relate to the world of a 20 yr old today. One of the things that is difficult to do is observe another person's experience at another time.