Screening for stocks with long histories

Ask your investment, budget, and other money related questions here
Lucky C

Screening for stocks with long histories

Post by Lucky C »

I'm looking for daily price data on smaller stocks with long histories. I would say small caps, but over long periods stocks could cross over from small to mid to large cap and back. So basically stocks with lesser known names, which would have shorter histories but higher volatility on average than the stocks that would come to mind when you think "stocks with long histories."

Anyone know of a screener where you can easily find companies that have been public say 20+ years? Or at least with a metric specified over a 10-year period? Otherwise I have to deal with a screener like Finviz where you can specify 5 year sales or earnings growth, but then have to manually see which ones are >> 5 years old.

Again I'm hoping to focus on small cap or formerly small cap stocks, but I would also welcome any recommendations of stocks of any size that have had very volatile episodes - more volatile than the overall market and preferably outside of big bear markets. That type of situation may be a good stress test of what I'm planning. Any memorable crashes that were isolated to one stock or at least one related group of stocks (the narrower the better) would be much appreciated.

Dream of Freedom

Re: Screening for stocks with long histories

Post by Dream of Freedom »

Lucky C wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:37 am
Otherwise I have to deal with a screener like Finviz where you can specify 5 year sales or earnings growth, but then have to manually see which ones are >> 5 years old.
Actually Finviz has a screen under the 'descriptive' tab called 'IPO Date' that allows you to do what you seek. Granted a company can exist a long time before an IPO, but I doubt you'll find a better proxy.

Lucky C

Post by Lucky C »

Thank you!! Never noticed that before.

Lucky C

Post by Lucky C »

Now I need to weigh if it's worth it to write a script to download and process historical data for a couple hundred stocks, or just pick 20 or so at random and work with them manually. Probably the latter to avoid frustration and too much confidence in historical data vs. future performance.