Making as much money as possible over the next 6 months

Ask your investment, budget, and other money related questions here
RoamingFrancis

Making as much money as possible over the next 6 months

Post by RoamingFrancis »

Hey everyone,

Please allow me to summarize my current situation to provide some context. I recently got fed up with the prerequisites for nursing school, and am now considering trying to go to a trades school or get an apprenticeship. So far the places I've looked at are not accepting new people, so my plans for the next 6 months are totally up in the air.

Luckily, my costs of living are low and I have savings. So I'm not worried about starving. However, I do need to make more money. Since I'm not done with school and don't have any professional certifications, I don't have access to good parts of the job market. As such, I need to figure out how I can make the most money possible over a 6 month period, without the BS certifications that usually go along with well-paid work.

Though I don't have professional certification, here is a brief list of what I consider to be my assets:

1) Language skills. Mainly English, Spanish, and German, though I've dabbled in many others.
2) Good social skills and high social capital within my locality.
3) Extremely basic DIY skills such as bicycle repair, cooking, some basic construction.
4) Enough savings to count as FU money.

Here are some of the options I have:

1) Work in a stifling fast food or warehouse environment for minimum wage. I can likely get lots of hours this way but I will despise every minute of the work. I'm not above this kind of work, but if there's anything that works out better I'd rather do that.

2) Scale up my language classes. I freelance teach English, Spanish, and German. I can easily teach this more, but finding more students might be hard. I'd have to figure out some sort of effective marketing shit.

3) Gardening work! A community organization I contribute to wants to plant gardens and are looking for workers - this gig is 20 hours a week and will start on the 27th, and I'd be working with my friends! I'll definitely be doing this when it starts.

4) Painting shit. I have contacts in the local Mexican working class community that said they're willing to let me help out with a couple gigs. Though this isn't set in stone.

5) Other side hustles? I have basic bike repair skills, but I'm not good enough to be able to flip an old bike without some guidance. I've also seen people sell stuff that they find in dumpsters. I'm not really sure. Any other ideas?

Pareto analysis tells me to concentrate on numbers 2 and 3, particularly 3. However, I do need to show my folks that I'm hustling to keep them off my back, :lol: so maybe I'll get some fast food job for the next week or so. Additionally, since the gardening job will be only 20 hours a week, I'll need other stuff to do to supplement that income.

Thanks to everyone, peace!

Alphaville

Re: Making as much money as possible over the next 6 months

Post by Alphaville »

online TESOL? though it might be oversupplied right now.

RoamingFrancis

Post by RoamingFrancis »

Do you need a college degree for that? I thought most places required one.

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

Unless you start your own business, or you have a shot at becoming a world class athlete in a popular sport, you’ll never make good money without some sort of certificate.
Hang in there and complete your studies.

Frita

Post by Frita »

RoamingFrancis wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:00 am
Do you need a college degree for that? I thought most places required one.
Yep, a TESOL is usually in addition to another non-education/non-linguistic degree. The hours are quite minimal, say 150 hours.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

hm... apply to work for ups?

-no higher education requirements
-flexible hours?
-union contract
-all hands on board needed during pandemic, with increased online sales

these are just random thoughts on industries with the potential to do well during the pandemic

i’d look at the stock market maybe and read the business news and see who’s doing well

Dream of Freedom

Post by Dream of Freedom »

Apply at a factory. Preferably a maintenance position. Some places train. You can learn to repair machinery.

Or you can do construction. Learn about home building and repair.

JuliusFC

Post by JuliusFC »

Become a community tutor on italki. No certification required.

My experience as a student with French, German, and Spanish community tutors is that some are absolutely awful but still get lots of bookings anyway if they're cheap. The really good community tutors get very popular quickly, raise their rates after they've proven themselves, and I'm sure could work 24/7 if they wanted to.

You'll be able to charge more for whatever your native language is. Many students are hesitant to pick a tutor who is not a native speaker so you'll have to price yourself accordingly to get your foot in the door on the non-native languages.

RoamingFrancis

Post by RoamingFrancis »

The iTalki tutoring is a great idea, thank you!