Stock Market Blood Bath

Ask your investment, budget, and other money related questions here
Nomad

Stock Market Blood Bath

Post by Nomad »

I'm just curious what percentage of their stash people have (temporarily) lost in the recent stock market chaos?

I think of my invested stash as opposed to bricks and mortar,
it is probably down about 12.5% compared with the peak a short month ago...

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Re: Stock Market Blood Bath

Post by jacob »

ex-House, I'm down 11.6% from the peak with the S&P500 down 24.2% currently. My equity alpha is about +6% at this point. The rest of the relative difference (so another 6-7%) is asset allocation. I was expecting equity-alpha to be higher, but indexers are dumping everything indiscriminately. I did try to reduce my portfolio's correlation with institutional investors finishing up in fall 2018, but apparently not enough.

CS

Post by CS »

As of last night I was down 6.5%. Haven't checked today.

black_son_of_gray

Post by black_son_of_gray »

As of market close yesterday, I'm somewhere around +8% YTD in my taxable account, which is ~33% of NW. Everything else is in cash equivalents, so the swing on my NW is negligible.

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

ex-house I am down 19.5% from the peak.
The vast majority of the overperformance is due to asset allocation, because in terms of equity the big win (going big into BAT throughout last year, it took almost all of my net inflows into equities) was compensated by the fact that I am overweight Oil/Gas (Royal Dutch Shell).

wolf

Post by wolf »

ex-house I was down 8,2% yesterday.

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

7%, all due to my stupidity. Tryin to HODL here and keep reminding myself that I might need to wait A LONG TIME for a turnaround.

@jacob, out of curiosity, how does one reduce the correlation of one's portfolio to that of institutional investors? What strategy did you assume on their behalf and how did you position?

FrugalPatat

Post by FrugalPatat »

I'm down about 0% because I'm 80% cash and 20% gold since maybe 1.5 months. I was 45% stocks 1 january and 80% in december still. I got lucky, for now.

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 »

Before today's action, it looks like I'm down roughly 10% from Jan 31st, down 8% YTD, and up 1% from this time last year. In other news, this thread makes me want to write an article about how anchoring affects how we think about investing. ;)

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

Tyler9000 wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:42 pm
In other news, this thread makes me want to write an article about how anchoring affects how we think about investing. ;)
I was also thinking about this. Is it better to be down 0% from a 0% gain over three years, or being down 30% from a 200% gain?

Of course it depends a lot on personal situations: for example, when one already has more than enough, it's much more logical to play not to lose, as opposed to trying to maximize gains

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

I'm down 24.4%.

Jin+Guice

Post by Jin+Guice »

Blind luck: I cashed out about a year ago, which looked like a very bad idea until Monday. I'm holding Vanguard MM (because I was holding Vanguard index funds and I'm lazy). I haven't investigated forgone dividends vs MM interest over the past year.

I'm holding cash rn, waiting for things to fall more before buying back in. If prices go low enough I'm going to move towards GB as I'm a novice and I'm interested in preserving what I've got without totally forgoing growth opportunities as I learn more (I'm a little shy of 50% of my barebones retirement number at 3% WR. Anyone who reads my journal knows that I plan on working PT indefinitely).

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

ertyu wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:21 pm
@jacob, out of curiosity, how does one reduce the correlation of one's portfolio to that of institutional investors?
You just look up/screen the percentage of institutional ownership in a given stock. Institutional means mutual and pension funds. Index funds are a type of mutual funds. I excluded stocks with over ~75% institutional ownership. Stocks with less institutional ownership will often be stocks that are not part of a major index or stocks that demonstrate a higher level of ownership mentality (where the founders held on).

henrik

Post by henrik »

-10% YTD, ex RE and cash, ex whatever happened in the US today.
Hey, thanks for asking, I wouldn't have checked otherwise and given the headlines I thought it would be down a fair bit more:)

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal »

Before today's bounce I was down 13.1% from peak.

@tyler9000
wrt anchoring. I'm about even with what a total cash position taken in early 2019 would have been today.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

I haven't calculated it but ignoring new contributions I was probably down ~15%-18% at yesterdays close from the peak, so maybe 11%-14% after today. Assuming no huge move in bonds, I can pretty much multiply what the SP500 does by 0.5 as a proxy, which is all I did in my head. I've had a little more drag from some extra small cap, ex-us, and emerging mkt exposure so that proxy might be optimistic by a percent or two.

I've got a personality quirk that when markets are going up I check my balances a lot, but when they are going down I only look sparingly.

bostonimproper

Post by bostonimproper »

I'm down 10.1% from peak, ex-house. Trying not to pay too much attention.

HalfCent

Post by HalfCent »

x
Last edited by HalfCent on Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

My portfolio is 20.18% below my purchasing price. 3 months of expenses/purchasing power wiped out. Although portfolio is 1/5th of savings.

HalfCent

Post by HalfCent »

x
Last edited by HalfCent on Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.