Canadian Ignoramus living abroad

Ask your investment, budget, and other money related questions here
Atlas

Canadian Ignoramus living abroad

Post by Atlas »

Hello,

I am quite an ignoramus about questions related to the mechanics of investing money.

For example, I would like to buy diversified stocks with canadian money. I am not sure of the mechanics. (i.e. who do I contact, what companies to deal with, etc.)

I am currently paid in euro deposed in an account in italy. I am not too sure what I should do with that money. Ideally I want to invest it in diversified stocks, and do empty automatically my account at the end of the month to buy stocks. I am not too sure how to do that either.

So, I am not in a hurry, I don't mind if this takes me a few months to learn the technical skills.

I just would like some suggestions, perhaps books and links to websites that explains the mechanics of doing these tasks.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Re: Canadian Ignoramus living abroad

Post by jacob »

Where do you pay your taxes?

Atlas

Re: Canadian Ignoramus living abroad

Post by Atlas »

Hi Jacob,

I did some research for the question, since this is my first year abroad and I have not yet paid taxes this year.

Two cases:

1) If I am considered a resident of Canada (which I am probably still at this point), here is what happens:
If Italian taxes are higher than canadian taxes, I pay nothing in canada.
I have to pay taxes in Italy, and the amount of taxes I pay in Italy is deducted from the amount of taxes I have to pay in Canada.

2) If I am not considered a resident of Canada, I only have to pay taxes in Italy.

Complete explanation here: https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/living-abroad/taxation