Jack Bogle of Vanguard Died Today

Ask your investment, budget, and other money related questions here
Gilberto de Piento

Jack Bogle of Vanguard Died Today

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

Jack Bogle passed away today. I read a few of his books and am an index investor based on his ideas. He seemed like a decent human being too, though I don't have much info in that area. Thanks Jack, rest in peace.

m741

Re: Jack Bogle of Vanguard Died Today

Post by m741 »

A giant in the community and IMO one of the true heroes for financially aware Americans. There's more discussion here:

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=18926225
“Jack could have been a multibillionaire on a par with Gates and Buffett,” said William Bernstein, an Oregon investment manager and author of 12 books on finance and economic history. Instead, he turned his company into one owned by its mutual funds, and in turn their investors "that exists to provide its customers the lowest price. He basically chose to forgo an enormous fortune to do something right for millions of people. I don’t know any other story like it in American business history.”
And:
For more than 20 years, he donated half his annual income to philanthropic causes, particularly those institutions that helped develop his mind and form his character.
RIP Bogle

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

Mr Bogle was one of the very, very few people whose investment advice I trusted. Sad news for the boglehead tribe.

Jason

Post by Jason »

Rest In(dex) Peace