Qualified dividends from Index funds

Ask your investment, budget, and other money related questions here
CS

Qualified dividends from Index funds

Post by CS »

Hi All,

I'm trying to switch things around for 2019, when my expected on paper income will be about 25k. I have enough resources outside of retirement accounts that I want to optimize them tax wise. Right now I'm in bonds, which is better than a .1% savings account, but horrible tax-wise. I am not going to put the effort into picking individual stocks because it's not what I want to do with my time, so chances of success in that are correspondingly lower.

I'm trying to learn about how qualified dividends work for index funds. I found this page for Vanguard: https://personal.vanguard.com/us/insigh ... ncome-2017

Looking at it, it seems like some Index funds fulls pay 100% Qualified dividends, while others are a mix. Is this correct? I'm not even sure what do with the Short Term capital gains figures.

Does anyone have recommendations for high ratio Qualified Dividend index funds for after-tax accounts? I'm looking for a total market, and a small-cap value, but can manage with just one or the other.

Thanks in advance,

CS