World Income Distribution

Ask your investment, budget, and other money related questions here
Jin+Guice

Re: World Income Distribution

Post by Jin+Guice »

@RJ: I'm looking for a distribution, like x% of the world population live at or under $x per year. A table to summarize deciles would be great. I'd also like a description of methodology because I know that estimating this would be difficult. It still seems like someone would've made an attempt. As for why, I'd like to see where my spending level is at on the world scale, but mostly I just find this shit interesting. I'm a bit of an economics nerd.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal »

Last edited by classical_Liberal on Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Solvent

Post by Solvent »

Pretty sure WB's PovcalNet fits your needs.

Edit: not sure why I can't get the link to work...

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

The U.S. Poverty Line is set at 3X the Thrifty Food Plan Market Basket periodically cost-adjusted. Currently around $23,000/yr for family of 4. I used to be able to feed my family of 4 for less than half the Thrifty Plan budget, but that required some gardening and attendance of food auctions. I don't think it's much of a coincidence that the absolute poverty level in the U.S. approximates the bottom rung of the middle-class globally, because overall global food security and rational calculation of food subsidies in the U.S. are both fairly tightly tied to support of production levels of high caloric value crops in the U.S. The number of agricultural workers in China, the largest producer measured in total calories, is approximately equal to the entire population of the U.S., the third largest producer in total calories.

I have taught children who came to school hungry, but they all had, IMO, unfit-for-the-role parents. The earliest sociological studies conducted in the slums of early 20th century London, came to the conclusion that the factor most likely to cause inability of child to raise himself up out of the lowest rung of underclass was alcohol consumption level of mother. Drunk father can be overcome :roll: So, although my stance on drug laws is overall quite Libertarian, I draw the line at operating potentially dangerous machinery in public venue or bearing/raising children while intoxicated.