Fasting log

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
Jean

Fasting log

Post by Jean »

I started a fast today as an experiment. I intend to let it last for two weeks.
I will only consume salt and water (in the form of broth, tea, or just water) to avoid dehyration. I assume the callory intake from broth will be negligeable.
I will keep biking and walking, but not more than usual like I thought about (in order to measure my range, would be nice to know, but i'll leave it to an other time). I never fasted for more than two days, so I'll see what happens.
I'm starting this log to keep myself accountable.

thegreatvoid

Re: Fasting log

Post by thegreatvoid »

:?:
Last edited by thegreatvoid on Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jean

Post by Jean »

I would rather say that we are the only specie in such an abundance of food, that we need to starve ourselves willingly.

prognastat

Post by prognastat »

The only kind of fasting I've done is the intermittent kind. I wish you good luck though.

Jean

Post by Jean »

I cheated and ate some leftover.
Now, nothing is left.

Jean

Post by Jean »

Gallblader stones. I'll try to dissolve them. If i see a doctor, i'll get an operation and it would cost too much. Any advice?

Jason

Post by Jason »

Not really but how's the fasting going?

FBeyer

Post by FBeyer »

Jean wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:47 am
Gallblader stones. I'll try to dissolve them. If i see a doctor, i'll get an operation and it would cost too much. Any advice?
Spend the money unless you absolutely love living in screaming, crippling agony /questionmark/

Jason

Post by Jason »

I think that very image is why Mick and Keith passed on "The Gallbladder" when considering their options.

Jean

Post by Jean »

The fasting was a faillure. I started eating again and the pain disapear. Maybe it was only the liver, but my mom had the gallblader removed so I maybe over reacted.
I'll need to be better prepared for my nex try. Maybe just five day in a hut, with the first three days fasted.

Jason

Post by Jason »

Maybe start with successfully skipping dessert for a night before you get everyone's hopes up again.

EdithKeeler

Post by EdithKeeler »

Maybe start with successfully skipping dessert for a night before you get everyone's hopes up again.
I could not explain to my office mate why I was laughing uncontrollably!

To the original poster, Jean: what is the point of this fast? What are you trying to achieve?

Jean

Post by Jean »

I wanted to learn about my body. I stoped the fasting when my liver started to hurt to the point where breathing was painfull. What was interesting, is that i was craving for lentils and rice, not sweets.

Jason

Post by Jason »

@Jean

As an FYI, I was actually interested in your progress as I have considered fasting, or at least cleansing. I know a guy at work who does it periodically. Based on your lasting power, I would suggest staying away from Islam or Judaism where it's occasionally required. And prison too, or any other place you might need to stop eating to enact change.

Maybe I'll just text that Thailand soccer coach who got his team stuck in a cave to see how he's holding up. It seems to work best when there's no choice in the matter.

Jean

Post by Jean »

I lasted much longer than What is required in islam. All in all, i ate very little over the five days. Less than What i usually eat in one day. Si i wouldn't put the faillure on my lasting power. I walked 25 miles on day2. 2 weeks without eating was toi ambitions.

Jason

Post by Jason »

If I'm not mistaken, it's called the "month" of Ramadan. Not the "work week" of Ramadan. So although you seem up for the walking requirements, I'm thinking you're falling pretty short on the not eating part.

However, from the standpoint of Judaism where it's merely a "day" of atonement, you killed it, both from the not-eating and walking angles.

I'm not sure how long the average prison hunger strike lasts. But I'm thinking you could survive an average length mining disaster, avalanche and possibly plane crash depending on where the fuselage ended up. I'm of course factoring in the average human being's aversion to cannibalism.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

During Ramadan you break fast after sunset every evening, and eat whatever you like. The hard part is not drinking anything during the day. I lasted about 10 days when I did it in the heat of summer.

Jean

Post by Jean »

People get fat and food price skyrocket during ramadan.

Jason

Post by Jason »

7Wannabe5 wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:45 am
break fast
Etymological awareness moment #45698.

Based on that, I'm adding how they define fasting to my list of disagreements with Islam.

EdithKeeler

Post by EdithKeeler »

i ate very little over the five days. Less than What i usually eat in one day.
At first I was confused by the this definition of a "fast" as "eating less than what I normally eat." But then I thought--perhaps he's Catholic!!

Based on your lasting power, I would suggest staying away from Islam or Judaism where it's occasionally required. And prison too, or any other place you might need to stop eating to enact change.
This is why I'm glad I'm (nominally) Catholic. On our fast days (Ash Wednesday, Good Friday) if you're from age 18 to 59, you get to eat one FULL meal, plus 2 Small meals that together don't quite equal a full meal. And no meat. (Age 60 and above: I guess you can just pig out if you want to). So on the fast day, you basically still eat 1 and 3/4 vegetarian meals... or 1 and 7/8 meals, or 1 and 999/1000ths meals... (you can tell I've given this a lot of thought). AND you still get to drink coffee! Yeah!! And of course the no meat on Fridays during Lent. I usually forget to fast about 3/4s of the time when I'm supposed to anyway. (Oddly: you can still have meat-based broths on no-meat days. So weird...).

I'd never make it as a Muslim. And if you ever hear that I went on a hunger strike for some reason, please call the police, because it's clearly against my will. Skipping dessert once in a while is about as far as I want to go with the fasting thing....