Looking for stress management advice

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
Farm_or

Re: Looking for stress management advice

Post by Farm_or »

Confucius say. So much of his writing is thematic towards becoming a superior being. Those don't thrive due to a lack of stress. Quite the contrary. They thrive despite an overabundance of stress.

mustafayacoob

Post by mustafayacoob »

I would suggest you some simple tips to help manage and reduce your stress level
  • Keep a positive attitude.
  • Accept that there are events that you cannot control.
  • Learn and practice relaxation techniques; try meditation, yoga for stress management.
  • Exercise regularly. Your body can fight stress better when it is fit.
  • Eat healthy, well-balanced meals.
  • Learn to manage your time more effectively.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

sl-owl-orris wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:59 pm
Hi guys, I’m asking you for help because many of you are far more advanced in this field and have some real wisdom to share. I’m going to write this as specific as I can so hopefully the advice you can offer will be applicable to me.

Background:
I’m an introvert and a highly sensitive person (INFJ if anyone is interested)
fellow INFJ, welcome to having one of the worst personality types for the modern world. For us, the only real thing that seems to work is finding a job where we’re having meaningful conversations or genuinely helping people. That or just not working, but that’s not really an option without saving.

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

TopHatFox wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 12:53 pm
fellow INFJ, welcome to having one of the worst personality types for the modern world. For us, the only real thing that seems to work is finding a job where we’re having meaningful conversations or genuinely helping people. That or just not working, but that’s not really an option without saving.
Yeah I think I am on this thin line between INFJ/INTJ. Perhaps I could just alter my self-concept to pick the latter as to make stress management a bit easier because the former really cares what others are thinking while the latter is a bit more objective in this department..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-concept

Frita

Post by Frita »

Lots of helpful tips shared. Here is an interesting podcast that discusses the evolutionary biological and neurological underpinnings of anxiety: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/backincont ... -anxiety-1

Lots of slow, rhythmic exercise (swimming, biking, walking) may also be helpful. Personally, 15,000 to 20,000 is my target plus biking and some yoga. Another interesting article: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytime ... t.amp.html

This is one of my favorite guided meditations: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dclry8TsLLs

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

in which book I gonna find what @jacob presented, but for INTPs?

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Not aware of any books that do stack theory vs stress. If anyone knows any, I'd like to get some references too.

I've pieced this together from multiple sources. If you're new to MBTI, read Keirsey's two books. Then start learning about functional stacks. @daylen has lots of link recommendations for the latter.

The INTP stack is Ti (driver)-Ne (co driver)-Si (10 yo)-Fe (3 yo). See https://www.typeinmind.com/tine

Under stress, Ti dominates and Ne is exhausted and would benefit from relief. => Building various theories about the world and insisting that they are correct instead of considering contradictory (Ne) input.

Under severe stress, Fe dominates, and Si makes excuses. => Fe will emotionally lash out on other people, getting angry. Si will justify it by saying they deserved it. Grudge-stuff will surface.

Note that every type has levels of functioning which can change from high to low depending on stress. Enneagrams focus more on those descriptions. There's an overlap between enneagram and MBTI so those descriptions can be helpful in figuring out what the stress levels are. See e.g. https://www.truity.com/enneagram/person ... vestigator (bottom half of the link). Type 5 is correlated with INT* types.

daylen

Post by daylen »

Linda Berens covers the stacks and stress briefly for each type. About a paragraph explaining how stress is manifested in each type for each function. I do not think it is worth the amazon price, though.

During stress I tend to shut out Ne by falling into a Ti-Si loop where I review data and consider how it aligns with theory (my theory). This is sort of like confirmation [bias] (Ti-Ni) except that eventually all the Si paths are exhausted and Ti conclusions start becoming weaker. At this point either Ne jumps onto novel data, or Ni considers all the data and conclusions holistically (discounting Si pools or Ti models). If the Ti-Si loop goes on long enough, then eventually I will have to interact with others (Fe) where the loop is either suspended or broken.

Rarely does it get to the point where I get angry but this has happened occasionally. When it does happen, Si tracks situational data so as to foresee and correct it next time. This isn't perfect obviously but it has helped in a few instances.

As for breaking out of stress, sometimes it is best to just follow the Si trails until they run out. This may seem worthless and further add to the depressed mood, but overcoming these periods improves confidence and enhances energy during Ne exploration phases. Ne has a limited excitability and building up this reservoir requires familiarity with seemingly mundane details (Si).
Last edited by daylen on Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

daylen

Post by daylen »

jacob wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:10 pm
Under stress, Ti dominates and Ne is exhausted and would benefit from relief. => Building various theories about the world and insisting that they are correct instead of considering contradictory (Ne) input.
Typically Ne is required in conjunction with Ti for any theory building to occur. Otherwise Ti-Si just sticks with what has already been developed and tracks where it goes right/wrong. With maturity these phases can focus on incorrectness in established theories. In this sense, Ti-Si is more like model validation than building. Building tends to follow excitement/inspiration to understand/map some hypothetical data pool prospected by Ne.