Going Vegan [Report]

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
thegreatvoid

Re: Going Vegan [Report]

Post by thegreatvoid »

Vegan and orgnanic have become these marketing buzzwords , that people use to virtue-signal their moral superiority .

My dead broke sister, who earns more money than me , and her boyfriend buy everything organic and vegan, Even hairgel !!!!

thegreatvoid

Post by thegreatvoid »

cant even have a normal family dinner without the conversation turning to what diets people are on , or health issues. suddely everybody knows more than doctors and pharmacists .

gets exhausting

Mae

Post by Mae »

ira_kart wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:31 am
@Mae- May be we can come out of the mould of thinking that only the West is clean and everyone else in this world is dirty. I do not like to pick fights but may be we can be more restrained in conveying our thoughts :) Even after so many years of ending Colonialism and achieveing so called enlightenment, we are still biasing/ judging other cultures based on pre-conceived notion built in the previous generation/ by the media.
You are 100% right and I apologize.

I'm glad you found the link helpful.

ira_kart

Post by ira_kart »

thegreatvoid wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:06 am
My dead broke sister, who earns more money than me , and her boyfriend buy everything organic and vegan, Even hairgel !!!!
I have absolutely no issues in the modern scientific medicine and the associated diagnostic tech (I am not including curing tech), but I believe there should be space for other medicine systems too which is not the case in US. When time permits, please read at the least the Wiki entry for "Flexner Report of 1910" and its effects on other Medicine systems in US. I believe thats the first instance of lobbying by Pharma Co's and some private "Foundations" meddling with public services.

To your point of buying "organic" hair gel, there are two sides of the same coin. First urban consumers like many of us are loosing the touch with these Organic farmers and how these "organic" products are produced in the first place. I fear a debacle like what happened with Mono Cropping around the world in the near future. Overseas farmers are actively encouraged by National Govts to produce for the "Organic Market" at the cost of local food production and farmer's own food.

The second side of the story is we were led to believe what is available on the store shelf as "normal" which in fact contains hundreds of chemicals and artificially synthesised substances. How was it before the invention of these chemicals. I understand we have had too many diseases/deaths before these inventions, but there should be a balance between both these sides. Please check EWG.org which grades most products available at your nearest store in US by toxicity.

@Mae - Never mind apologising once you realised it and make sure not to repeat it for life. that is the true apology :)

thegreatvoid

Post by thegreatvoid »

@ira_kart I live in europe and most supermarkets in my country only sell organic produce .
I run a hotel / restaurant and most of the food we serve comes from our own garden. Organic eggs I buy from
a farmer , that lives 2 kilometers from my house. every time I go for a run , I see those chickens running wild.

My critic of my sister and her SO is that they have lots of debt and maybe it´s not the wisest move to shop in the most expensive supermarket, but perhabs they should buy the more affordable stuff until they get their finances in order.

ZAFCorrection

Post by ZAFCorrection »

Not to bag on veganism or the avoidance of certain food additives since that does seem to work for a number of people, but the usage of the words "organic" and "chemicals" is an abomination before science. I know words can have different meanings depending on the context they are used in, but nutrition, whether or not it has been fully elucidated, is founded in chemistry. And you can't reasonably explain nutrition/chemistry to someone if they think "organic" means mother-earth approved and "chemical" means the bad stuff we shouldn't eat.

For instance, acetone is an organic liquid that I would in no way be happy consuming, and water is a chemical. Maybe that's obvious and I am just being pedantic, but in some contexts I have seen confusion.