Would you recommend / have a colonoscopy?

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
Michael_00005

Would you recommend / have a colonoscopy?

Post by Michael_00005 »

If you’re nearing 50, older than 50, know anyone in that age, or expect to someday reach the age of 50 the following is an excellent video. If you’re not from the US, this type of testing (most likely) will not affect you. But in the talk, he does touch on several very important topics, which relate to everyone. The most informative personally had to do with cancer growth, which doubles every 100 days, and takes roughly 10 years before it can even be detected -- the early detection myth.

These types of videos are really for people who love to learn. I’ve heard several talks saying the same thing on the subject, but this one is the best.

https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/educ ... rong-butt/

edit, colonoscopy stats, per above talk:
Serious complication 7%
perforation 1/200 (he says 1 in 2k, but this must be wrong based on context, and below link)
Death 1/1000 die from perforation

7 different options are available but the most expense (and most dangerous) is almost always recommended in the US; avg. colonoscopy cost is over $3,000. This is why is so important for a person to be informed when it comes to healthcare! Of course if you follow a plant based diet (PBD), colon and prostate cancer are mostly non existent (in relation to, years living a PBD).

A 5 minute talk:https://nutritionfacts.org/video/should ... at-age-50/
Last edited by Michael_00005 on Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:24 am, edited 7 times in total.

enigmaT120

Re: Would you recommend / have a colonoscopy?

Post by enigmaT120 »

I'm 54 and Kaiser Permanente doesn't seem excited about pushing those tests. All they ask for is a poop sample once a year which I mail in.

DutchGirl

Re: Would you recommend / have a colonoscopy?

Post by DutchGirl »

Also depends on your family's history and a little bit on your personal history.

If your family history is populated with lots of folks who had colon cancer (and note, people sometimes used to say they had "liver cancer" when they actually have colon cancer with metastases to the liver), oh, and particularly if people have colon cancer at a young age, then yes.

If you personally have had colon polyps, then please discuss with your doctor whether regular colonoscopies would be wise (depends on the polyp characteristics).

If you have lived a life of eating no fiber, low on fruits/veggies, but eating lots of red meat, lots of burnt food, and lots of alcohol and smoking - then you're higher risk as well and I would indeed also discuss it with a doctor.