Everything Salt

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
Toska2

Everything Salt

Post by Toska2 »

We talk about the macro nutrients, fasting, probiotics, vitiamins ect. This thread is for salt. Many of you do HITT or endurance exercises. How do you know your body needs salt? What do you use to add to your diet? Do you add to excess and let the body flush out the unnecessary salt?

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Re: Everything Salt

Post by jacob »

My body needs extra salt about once every two years. I know this happens when drinking ever more water somehow doesn't quench my thirst. Otherwise, I get my electrolytes from regular food. Typically the salt addition would mean I've drunk more than 2 gallons on that day ... this is rarely necessary for what I do. (I don't run half marathons or spend hours in 90F+).

The only cooking I add salt to is the pasta water. Otherwise, I don't use salt, ever. Eating other people's cooking ("Hey, did you put salt in this?!? :evil:") or processed/commercial/restaurant food causes me to drink several cups of water afterwards.

chenda

Post by chenda »

Never use it, ever. I remember my grandparents would smother all their food with vast quantities of salt. I grew up to associate it with heart disease.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

brute adds tons of salt to everything. something about ketosis makes the body retain less salt. and it tastes delicious. brute has 3-4 varieties of salt in his kitchen at any given time, and sometimes snacks on salt.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

When I was vegan I followed the practice of no salt. However, now I follow ketogenic and am exercising way more so like brute I liberally apply it to everything. I've experienced hypnotremia, that is no fun.

Bankai

Post by Bankai »

I don't even remember when I last time added salt to anything, must have been years ago. Human body is extremely well adapted to retaining salt. It was evolving for millions of years with no added salt and with daily intake at <1.5g. Current average daily intake of 8g makes ridiculous RDA of 6g look conservative.

Nomad

Post by Nomad »

It depends on what you normally eat. People on the standard American diet usually get too much salt.
People on a mainly vegetable based ketogenic diet will probably need to add a fair amount of salt.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

have any humans here read The Salt Fix? (http://thesaltfix.com/)
brute has been meaning to read it, but hasn't so far. he's also read that the human body is incredibly good at retaining salt if so trained, and many humans have lived decades without eating salt. even on ketogenic diets - this is kind of a debate in the zero-carb (meat only) community, with strong opinions on both pro-salt and contra-salt sides.