Cheap Progressive Lenses?

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
brookline

Cheap Progressive Lenses?

Post by brookline »

Hi everyone,
I use progressive lenses & need to get new ones for my new (stronger :( ) prescription. Does anyone have recommendations on how to do this without spending major money? FYI-I bicycle commute regularly so I need good vision in the outdoors.

Chris

Re: Cheap Progressive Lenses?

Post by Chris »

Online stores (Zenni, etc.) are the typical answer. But if you have a high prescription, the results might not be ideal. Mine is high (-9.0), and with high-index lenses my eyes have a low tolerance for PD errors. So Zenni didn't work for me.

In the end, I got some glasses while traveling in a lower-cost-of-living country for about $100. Not "cheap", but 2-3x cheaper than buying from a Luxottica-owned franchise in the US.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

+1 for a lower cost country.

Bring your existing glasses. They can measure the current prescription right off of the optics and replicate it.

Did in Poland in the early 2000s. Price was <20% of the originals.

brookline

Post by brookline »

Hi guys,
Thanks for the responses. Unfortunately, I'm not leaving the northeastern US anytime soon. So Zenni might do a poor job on my progressive lens prescription?

Chris

Post by Chris »

Zenni might work out for you, just didn't work out for me. They do allow for returns, though only for store credit.

Pkate

Post by Pkate »

I have not had good luck ordering progressive lens online. I have had good luck getting them at Costco and BJ's. While not as cheap as going over seas it was far less than the local shop. I generally renew my membership when I need new glasses and then shop there till membership expires.