Bulking up healthy but innexpensively

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
conwy

Re: Bulking up healthy but innexpensively

Post by conwy »

This is just my opinion, take it or leave it, but...

Why bother trying to bulk up?

I'm a bit on the lean side myself. I don't care how I look much. I just try not to look like too much of a slob.

I'd rather optimise my diet for:
* Feeling comfortable and energetic
* Maintaining health
* Spending minimal amounts of money
* Sustaining the planet (to the extent that's possible)

If it's physical/personal safety you're after, I think you can achieve that by just living in a safe area, being observant, not flashing expensive objects around and avoiding conflicts or fights. I realise not everyone can do all this, but it's just my way of life.

If it's girls or being sexy you're after, I'd say the kind of relationships where you have to be the muscle-man and defend your lady's honour just aren't worth it these days (if they ever were). If you really like to fight, maybe do it professionally and at least get paid for it? Like become a martial arts instructor or try to compete in boxing?

If it's respect from other dudes you're after, maybe find a group of dudes who you have something in common with already.

I realise read in a certain way, all of the above might sound discouraging. I don't mean it to. If you really want to bulk up go and do it.

I'm just expressing my way of life, after I went through a phase of being obsessed with bulking up, but ended up deciding there were way better things I could put my time, money and energy to.

daylen

Post by daylen »

I think a good equilibrium is a mixture of calisthenics and dance.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

The strain of lifting is physically and mentally cathartic. I love the ritual in my week. The ceremony of training anchors my day. Knowing to perform well, I must recover, motivates me to care for my body. It is one of the few physical activities I truly enjoy.

Part of the fun is getting better. Doing that without eating more is nearly impossible.

I do not see it as a path to optimal health. The benefits of most exercise taper off at a very low level of performance.

daylen

Post by daylen »

Good point. At some point you start experiencing a negative marginal utility since it increases your metabolic rate and speeds up the aging process (assuming other factors are held constant).

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

Outside of the metabolic impact being heavier has, breakdown of the joints is the biggest problem I've observed from exercise. Not limited to lifters, but anyone that goes full bore into their physical activity of choice. Runners lose their knees, yogis their hips, swimmers their shoulders, etc. I try to have fun, avoid the furthest extremes, and spread the wear around my body.

I personally am prone to min/max behavior. I have made a point to fight it in my lifestyle, instead emphasizing activities I enjoy. I might live longer if I followed a calorie restriction diet, replaced lifting with walking and light calisthenics, and stopped using computers 10+ hours a day. But that is not the life I want, even if I get an extra 10 years. I could also die in a car accident tomorrow.

thrifty++

Post by thrifty++ »

I think its best to undertake a spread of activity which covers resistance, cardio and stretching.

Lifting weights reduces your flexibility which makes you more injury prone. I am increasingly practicing yoga to counterbalance that. Weights plus yoga is an awesome combination. Strength, balance and flexibility. Healthier. I find it hard to fit much cardio in, but swim when I can. One of the reasons I would love to be FI is to do loads of different types of exercise, with the time available. At the moment I am on holiday so am doing both a yoga class and weights both days and the occasional swim.

Kriegsspiel

Post by Kriegsspiel »

thrifty++ wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:05 pm
I think its best to undertake a spread of activity which covers resistance, cardio and stretching.

Lifting weights reduces your flexibility which makes you more injury prone.
Some kinds of weight training can (using exclusively machines). If you are doing free weight exercises with full ROM, it will probably improve flexibility and suppleness.