Dyeing grey hair - for men

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
thrifty++

Dyeing grey hair - for men

Post by thrifty++ »

I am 35 and have recently discovered the shock horror that I am sprouting some grey hairs.

Unfortunately the grey hairs are not so much sprouting in the body of my hair on top where it would easily blend in with the rest. It seems more prevalent on the sides, which for most men, and me, is noticeable with a haircut with clippered short back and sides.

I am considering maybe doing a DIY hair dyeing job.

Does anyone have any tips about dying hair? Especially for men? I have to present well for my work so it has to look natural. Not like a silly die you might do when you are a teenager.

I am concerned that the area my hair is starting to grey is on the sides which is really annoying because those hairs are generally short and I will need to clipper them about once a month which means I will have to keep dying my hair on a regular basis.

Also does anyone know of any scientific evidence about what healthy lifestyle habits might stop your hair greying? Or is it purely luck of the draw DNA.

Scott 2

Re: Dyeing grey hair - for men

Post by Scott 2 »

I think the splashes of grey add to my credibility.

ducknalddon

Post by ducknalddon »

I wouldn't worry about it, I doubt anybody is paying that much attention.

thrifty++

Post by thrifty++ »

I have actually had one woman at work make a comment about it.

Anyone on here deal to their grey hairs or just let them grow?

OTCW

Post by OTCW »

Let them grow or get it done professionally.

Chris

Post by Chris »

Get a box of grey hair dye (it exists) and leave it on your desk. People will think your intentional grey hair is all part of your master plan.

Bankai

Post by Bankai »

I'm your age and I also have some grey hairs. I intend to do absolutely nothing about it as I don't see it as a horror, but as a perfectly natural sign of aging. I never heard about any lifestyle choices that can stop it turning grey, although to be fair I never looked. Are you in the industry where grey hair means you're first to be out (is there even such a thing?). Where I live (Scotland) it's perfectly normal and I don't think I know anyone who dyes. Also, seems a lot of work on a regular basis. Also, not very ERE as it's a totally unnecessary expense. Also, why would you worry about a random comment of a random person at your work?

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

I earned every one of my gray hairs so I'm keeping them. Of course in my line of work and on the career track I've chosen, being known as a "graybeard" is indicative of high status. So I allowed the transition to occur literally. Can't say whether it helped or hindered me achieving the professional status.

I'd agree with what someone said above--if I felt it was that important to my career, I'd be inclined to pay an expert to do it. Nothing says "wannabe" like a bad dye job on a dude.

Campitor

Post by Campitor »

Premature white hair runs in the family - I had salt and pepper hair in my early 20's and advanced white hair in my 30s. Women loved it and I was constantly being asked by young and old women if I dyed my hair white so they could achieve the same look (my hair is very white naturally). I didn't know white hair was a thing for some people. Anyways - the difference in having white hair or not depends on how you wear it (proudly or self-consciously), groom it, and how physically fit you are. Being fat (no muscle tone) with white hair makes you look like an old chubby panda - fit and white hair makes you look like a majestic silver-back. I've also met some women who also have completely white hair naturally and are absolutely gorgeous; the white hair doesn't detract from their look whatsoever - it actually enhances it.

And I agree 100% with IllinoisDave - nothing is more horrible than a bad dye job - let a pro do it.

thrifty++

Post by thrifty++ »

Funnily enough I was talking to a guy today who is 29 (6 years my junior) who has substantially more greys than I do. And they seemed more on the sides too. I wonder if that is the first place it typically starts.

I am probably going to start noticing grey hair on other people now more than I used to.

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

It's grey hair, man, not the Apocalypse.

Cut it like the rest, and concentrate on something important to you and your future happiness.

You have two choices right now, dye, deal with the effects of all those chemicals, the hassle of always keeping up with more dye, and the potential shame when you are outted as being Insecure enough to dye your hair, with the upside of a potential extension of what may be a younger appearance, that will be harder and harder to hide, followed by the abrupt transition when you get tired of the hassles; or, get ahead of it, get comfortable with the grey, and use the 2 extra hours every other week to practice being the man you want to be, rather than trying to look like the man you used to be.

Youth may be wasted on the young, but chasing lost youth is wasting your life. You are 35, you have lots of good years ahead of you, don't waste them wishing to be 25 again.

I started losing my hair at 18, so when I started getting grey in my 30's, I was just glad to still have hair to turn colors. Maybe the diminished expectations made this easier for me.

Campitor

Post by Campitor »

@Riggerjack

+1000 - your reply hit the nail on the head.

thrifty++

Post by thrifty++ »

These are some very good points Riggerjack.

Yeah I am pretty freaked at the thought of dyeing for ages and then suddenly having a massive transition to grey. That would be very awkward/