Entering Ketosis

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
BRUTE

Re: Entering Ketosis

Post by BRUTE »

as Jean will learn relatively quickly, it is not possible to simply vary the macro ratios arbitrarily. too much protein -> protein poisoning and constipation. not enough protein (and just fat) -> "fat overload" (a weird, sudden anti-craving for fatty foods) and indigestion. there's a limit to how much fat the enzymes in the human stomach can digest before it passes through, and fat that passes through undigested ends up being pooped out.

it seems that the human digestive system has evolved to a protein/fat ratio that pretty much matches with those found in mid to larger animals, e.g. pigs and cows. most birds and rabbits are too lean (-> protein poisoning), and to brute's knowledge no animals exist that contain no muscle meat at all. it is hypothetically possible to only eat the fatty parts, but flavor and hunter gatherer habits seem to indicate that mixing protein and fat is the way to go - the eskimos seem to eat muscle meat cooked and covered in fatty soup and seal blubber.

the digestible ratio seems to be roughly between 2:1 and 4:1 fat:protein (by calories).

the classic ketogenic diet is 4:1 fat:(protein+carbs) by weight instead, and is described as hard to tolerate by most humans because of the extreme fat content. it is often supplemented with liquid fat like cream to get to the required ratio. it would roughly be 9:1 in terms of calories.

Jean

Post by Jean »

Ok, so for 2000 kcal, that would be 1600 kcal (so 200ml of oil) of fat and 100g of proteins (so 300 g of gruyère, or 400g of steak, or 15 eggs) All those option would cost me north of 400.-CHF/month.

Jean

Post by Jean »

On the other hand, I have been consumming a 125 gramms of butter in one meal, or 300ml of oil in one day without incuring trouble, so I might give a high fat diet a try. As long as I have enough of all AA, I only risk fatshit. Right?

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

Jean wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:37 am
As long as I have enough of all AA, I only risk fatshit. Right?
the technical term is "disaster pants".

1lb of ground beef costs brute about $4. 2lbs/day are just about 2,000kcal. so it should be possible to eat for around $240/month. brute will admit that a diet of pure ground beef is extremely dull, and he personally adds cheese and vegetables. a week's worth of frozen vegetables costs about $10. cheese goes from extremely cheap (large bags of shredded cheddar) to luxurious indulgence (imported European cheeses for $10s of dollars per bite). brute loves cheese, so he spends a lot of money on what is basically glorified mold.

if Jean uses a mix of eggs, cheaper steak cuts, and ground meat, with vegetables for texture and variance, he should be able to eat for less than $400 (looks like CHF is pretty much exactly the same as USD at the moment). that said, a ketogenic diet is probably not the cheapest diet available. Jean gets what he pays for.

Jean

Post by Jean »

At my great surprise, I found ground meat (.7beef.3pork) for 9.5chf/kg. I will try a fat based diet because I'de like to keep some of my money for other things. But it's good to know.

JamesR

Post by JamesR »

technohead wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:23 pm
I lasted 3 days on a steak diet. Felt sick.
It takes at least 4 days to make it past the gross part of keto diet just so that you know.