Entering Ketosis

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
enigmaT120

Re: Entering Ketosis

Post by enigmaT120 »

So many subsidies. That's a big chunk of our welfare spending, it's just not counted as such.

NPV

Post by NPV »

7Wannabe5 wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:54 am
Recent study showing that optimal intake for increasing muscle mass over age 40 is 1.6g protein/lb of body weight. Form of protein made no difference.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/07/well ... er-40.html

Of course, overall health value of increasing muscle mass might be relative to total body weight, so senior citizen who is currently skinny-weak would derive most benefit from increased protein intake, whereas middle-aged female who already "looks more like a chubby teenage girl than most women her age" (sigh)might derive more benefit from simple decrease of total simple carbohydrate calorie intake. The super-efficiency of sugar cane does not come close to covering the inefficiencies in the cost of modern medicine.
Very interesting study, thanks for pointing it out! An important correction is they found no additional benefits from increasing protein consumption above 1.6 grams per kg of body weight, not per lb - which seems like a modest amount for me.

One funny-interesting point is below the abstract:
"Conflict of interest statement
Competing interests: SMP has received grant support, travel expenses, and honoraria for presentations from the US National Dairy Council. This agency has supported trials reviewed in this analysis."
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28698222 Doesn't necessarily discredit the results, but does shed some light on the prevalence of whey protein focused studies in the meta sample.

Where did the study make the point that protein source (animal vs. plant) made no difference? I haven't found it: http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/early/2018/ ... 017-097608 That would be a big deal as conventional weightlifting wisdom holds that plant proteins are largely useless due to incomplete amino chain composition, and if there is empirical evidence that plant protein is just as good for muscle building, that would make combining weightlifting/bodybuilding, ERE and health easier.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

anecdotes, but.. brute is convinced that different proteins are completely different.

beef protein makes brute extremely full for hours. the same amount of whey protein actually makes brute more hungry. maybe the main benefit of whey protein to bodybuilders is that it drives insulin like crazy, making them hungry and therefore enabling them to eat more?

that said, if a human is not into bodybuilding or weight lifting, protein is probably overrated.

GandK

Post by GandK »

I started Keto on January 31st in the hopes that it would improve my now-chronic migraines.

Not sure if it's effective for headaches yet. But so far I've lost 10 pounds, I have heartburn every night, and I'm occasionally nauseated. I find myself frequently craving peanut butter (? I don't normally eat/like peanut butter), and pretty much every food now tastes much sweeter to me. I find that to be the weirdest side effect by far. When feta cheese tastes sweet, it seems to me that there might be a problem.

Kriegsspiel

Post by Kriegsspiel »

That's just the ketones ripping out the toxins, it's a good thing.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

GandK wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:21 pm
When feta cheese tastes sweet, it seems to me that there might be a problem.
many foods actually contain sugar, especially dairy products, but not nearly enough to stand out against soda and candy. brute's palate has changed pretty dramatically on keto.

butter now tastes sweet. cream is sweet as fuck. 90% cocoa dark chocolate is very sweet. many vegetables taste sweet.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

BRUTE wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:32 pm
butter now tastes sweet. cream is sweet as fuck. 90% cocoa dark chocolate is very sweet. many vegetables taste sweet.
+1. I only eat 100% chocolate now. 90% tastes like milk chocolate and anything less tastes like garbage.

Cream is like a super dessert. Ice cream without the sugar.

I do get the peanut butter cravings like K from time to time. But if I don't have peanut butter for a while it ends up tasting not so good as well.

Toska2

Post by Toska2 »

For those that are keeping track.

What is your fat intake profile? Saturated, mono and poly. I'd estimate mine is 80-85/5-10/5-10. I feel like I shoud ditch coconut oil (I take a small swig if my meal seems light in fat) for another oil. This is considering that I crockpot 8oz suet or 24 oz bacon with a 3 - 3.5 lb roast. Limiting my cheese intake to under 16 oz/day.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

not tracking explicitly, but probably similar. mostly saturated.

why ditch the coconut oil?

Toska2

Post by Toska2 »

This is my first week (month?) trying keto. Since I crockpot suet, lard and bacon by the lb some of it is liquid fat and the rest solid tallow. This makes my main meal highly varible in fat content, all saturated. If I eat too much my stomach churns a half hour later. The dead simple way to prevent this is to eat smaller meals. Sometimes this isnt possible. I am hoping a small meal of highly saturated fat combined with a mono or poly fat will reduce the stomach issue.

If you are doing this without nuts where are your mono and poly fats coming from?

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

not 100% without nuts, they're just not a staple. avocados are mostly monounsaturated, as are olives and olive oil. and cocoa butter contains a lot of mono and some poly.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I thought there was a thread on B12 deficiency specifically but I can't find it so I'll post this article here. It's about the neurological dangers of B12 deficiency. Lots of evidence now about the relationships between GI issues, anemia, B12 and/or folate deficiencies, and how they trigger/aggravate autoimmune and neurological problems.

Maybe I should post this in the vegan thread since they're more at risk?

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

Do people who eat stuff from the garden without washing it (not naming any names, but looking in the mirror) really have to worry about that? B12 comes from dirt, not meat.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

hard to say. brute has heard that soil nowadays is very depleted of minerals and vitamins. this might be less true for enigmaT120's garden than for commercial farm land. it might depend on the garden.

B12 deficiency is tricky in that it apparently only shows up 1 year+ in.

and B12 does definitely also come from meat.

orthodoxcaveman

Post by orthodoxcaveman »

Anyone else here take the carnivorous approach to keto?

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

brute has tried carnivorous multiple times, but after 3-4 weeks without any vegetables he gets a dull, constant headache. it goes away within a few hours of eating green vegetables. brute has tried extra salt, but to no avail.

orthodoxcaveman

Post by orthodoxcaveman »

BRUTE wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:48 pm
brute has tried carnivorous multiple times, but after 3-4 weeks without any vegetables he gets a dull, constant headache. it goes away within a few hours of eating green vegetables. brute has tried extra salt, but to no avail.
Interesting. I doubt I've gone more than 4 weeks without eating green vegetables myself. I get a Caesar salad or steak with side vegetables at work functions.

prognastat

Post by prognastat »

I haven't, though I'm not the biggest fan of vegetables I feel good after cutting out carbs and some variety is nice.

technohead

Post by technohead »

I lasted 3 days on a steak diet. Felt sick.

But intermittent fasting 16 to 22hrs 3 times a week is awesome for me.

I lift at the gym - old skool style strength training: heavy squats, deadlifts etc. So got muscle and burn calories. But can pack on a few kilos if I slack off for a month while still eating a lot of carbs.

Jean

Post by Jean »

As anyone tried a fat based ketosis? Meat is too expensive and legumes too carb-rich.
I tought about mostly self-made mayonaise and pigfat, with wathever I find in the dumpster (mostly vegetables and some meat).