Can one control one's thoughts?

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
Ego

Re: Can one control one's thoughts?

Post by Ego »

sky wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:34 am
In the interest of maximizing mental well being, can one guide or control the constant stream of thoughts in one's mind?
BRUTE wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:42 am
no
jacob wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:25 am
yes
:lol:

It depends.

What do you mean by:

- guide or control?
- thoughts?
- in one's mind?

I think the different definitions may be at the heart of the different responses of Brute and Jacob.

Take the mind, for instance. Typically when people talk about their mind they refer to their conscious mind, the thing that provides the feeling of thinking. But that's only one part. There is a whole other part of the mind, the subconscious, that is doing a massive amount of work, like regulating blood pressure, directing hormonal secretions, conducting the symphony of our immune system and much more, all below the level of consciousness. It is also puking up thoughts into consciousness.

Without moving or shifting your attention, can you guide or control your pituitary gland to squirt out a shot of thyroid-stimulating hormone to direct your thyroid to increase your metabolism? Maybe a monk in some monastery somewhere who, through decades of meditation practice, has learned to control certain portions of his autonomic nervous system like this, but the average person cannot.

Same goes for thoughts. The subconscious is puking them up without much control from the conscious mind.

As far as I can tell, control comes in two forms. The mess your sub-consciousness pukes is a direct result of what it was fed. So, be aware of what you are feeding it. Second, when it pukes something putrid, you can, to some extent, decide whether to latch on to the putrid thought or not. But in order to do that you've got to notice what it is puking.

In its simplest form, meditation is just that. The conscious mind watching the puke happening.

Lovely thought, eh?

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

I "read" this topic in 2017, but "didn't care". As I'm on binge for refreshing old topics...

___
For me, the easiest thing to learn has been to switch the internal monologue off. Learned that when I was 20 or so. While I tried sitting in seiza and focusing on my breathing, this didn't really work for me. I got more practice in during long daily walks (commute) when I would simply halt any thought (voice) that popped into my head. I did not need to focus on something else (like breathing). AFAIR, it was tricky for a few months, but now I can clear my mind of any thought at will. At least for a while. I'm not entirely sure how useful this is. (I don't swing very far emotionally.)

[For those who are trying and failing to halt and eliminate, try substituting nonverbal thoughts like kinetic awareness for an exercise routine.]

Next (mid twenties) I tried playing around with biofeedback. Focus on the tip of your index finger and keep the focus there. After a while, it will feel like it's tingling. Move to the next finger and get that finger tingling. With practice, you can move the sensation around. One finger at a time. All the fingers at once. With more practice, you can speed up the process. Ostensibly, you can use this to reduce pain although I don't think it works that well although it's better than nothing. It's easier to start with fingertips since there are more nerve endings there. It's also possible to raise and lower your pulse this way. This requires practice to maintain.
0o or even 0_0
I need to up my knowledge in this regards.
For fitst paragraph: Hmmm. Unbelievable. I heard about "thank you, my mind"-technique from ACT in 2014, but didn't use it much.
Second one: something completely new for me. Sounds like magic.

For the rest part of "quoted" post - magic one more time.

my 5 cents to the topic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOktN5fQYbE
(I was looking for topics in "mind"-area as a way to handle stress)

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

When Arjuna used flickering, obstinate, turbulent, agitating and restless as adjectives and said to him it seems that controlling the mind is as or more difficult than regulating the flow of wind; Kṛṣṇa okayed and said "but through abhyAsa and by vairAgya" it can be brought under.
Bg6.34-35

abhyAsa means repetitions, practice, studies. In general anything that is or has to be done for a second or more times can be called such.

vairAgya meaning detachment is the 6th opulence in the list of knowledge, strength, wealth, beauty, fame and renunciation.

EricaR

Post by EricaR »

sky wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:34 am
In the interest of maximizing mental well being, can one guide or control the constant stream of thoughts in one's mind?

What are useful techniques to prefer positive, beneficial thoughts and minimize fear, anguish, worry or other types of negative thoughts?

I wish I could do that..But I can;t do it.. I always feel jealous when I see someone doing well or living well..I don't know why. Sometime the target person is not least connected to me. Neither friend nor acquaintance. Sometimes I feel, the main cause for all these things is my past life.. It was useless one..I didn't make right decisions at right moments and I always had a timid and weak personality. I want to let my past go. I'm trying to keep my mind calm..I don't need impurities in my mind.. Always try to think about different things when I get such jealousy feelings..

catpepper

Post by catpepper »

I don't think you can control your own thoughts. but you can distract your mind into thinking about something else or not thinking at all.