How to quit coffee?

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
BRUTE

Re: How to quit coffee?

Post by BRUTE »

Riggerjack wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 11:36 pm
Wait. You guys measure in cups? Of coffee, or grounds?
liquid coffee. brute uses 3 coffee spoons of grounds for 2 cups of coffee, if that is a more familiar unit.

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

I fixed a cup of coffee Sat. morning, first in months. Man I was climbing the walls. I don't think I'll bother trying it again.

leeholsen

Post by leeholsen »

Why you guys want to quit nature's most perfect drug is beyond me.

It tastes great, not detrimental in non-extreme quantities except thru fast food drive thrus and is the perfect pickup for a little extra.

A little foldgers between your cheek and gum, that's start your morning.

JamesR

Post by JamesR »

Zalo,

"How to quit coffee?" is the wrong question. A better question is "How to drink tea?" or "How to drink decaf coffee?" or "How to drink & enjoy H2O" The answers to those questions seems straightforward enough. You probably don't need to start new forum threads for those quesitons ;)
halfmoon wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 10:27 am
vexed87 wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 3:02 am
Tyler9000 wrote:
Wed May 24, 2017 2:20 pm
decaf
:evil: :evil: :evil:
I'll add another :evil: for free.
It's way too easy to hate on decaf! A lot of us start drinking coffee for the caffeine initially, unfortunately that leads us to making a totally unfair association that decaf coffee is somehow dumb.

I found that drinking coffee almost always affected my sleep, which caused major issues with being productive at work and lead to a feedback loop of drinking more and more every day and yet barely staying functional. Other people get major anxiety from it, or other problems.

Decaf still has caffeine. It has 10% caffeine. It has 100% flavour of regular coffee. Plus there's the whole social thing around it, it's nice to be able to go with your coworkers for the morning coffee run every day.

To me, decaf coffee & tea have roughly the same amount of caffeine. Tea & Decaf are equally interchangeable depending on your mood. That's the best advantage of decaf.

tl;dr - Decaf Coffee & Tea are equivalents. Enjoy both as desired.

Treading27

Post by Treading27 »

I don't know if it's a good idea to quit coffee altogether. According to a study from Annals, "coffee drinking was associated with [a] reduced risk for death from various causes. " That's pure, black coffee; once you add cream/sugar/etc the benefits decrease. So if you don't mind plain black coffee, might be better to keep the habit.

Allagash

Post by Allagash »

I personally do not believe the hype that coffee is healthy. I do not think it is from my own personal experience of being a heavy coffee drinker at one point. Watch closely who funds the health studies on coffee, it can be tricky to see who is behind the studies and influences them (a multi-billion dollar powerful industry has a LOT to lose if studies came out saying coffee was not healthy).

I feel it dehydrates me and makes me feel overall less healthy. It is very acidic. It affects the quality of my sleep A LOT. I sleep much deeper when I do not drink coffee. I feel it also can make you more tense, jittery, and uptight overall. Takes away from a bit of my peace of mind and calmness.

But it gives you a jolt in the morning and wakes you up and can help me focus better. Especially if you have a desk job and stare at a computer all day.

I switched to high quality loose leaf green and oolong tea about 15 years ago and felt much healthier overall. But even with that I try to take breaks from it (drink for a few days, take a few days off, etc..). As it still has a lot of caffeine, I feel it still deydrates me (but less so than coffee), affects the quality of my sleep, and makes me a bit jittery if I drink a lot of it.

I really feel best and healthiest BY FAR when I drink NO caffeine at all, and I did a year without it one year. But it takes longer to wake up in the morning without caffeine, and sometimes I get tired reading after lunch or dinner on no caffeine days . When I don't drink caffeine in AM I try to drink a ton of cold water to help me wake up. I sleep awesome with NO caffeine, much deeper sleeps.

I still drink coffee and espresso, but usually only on occasion while traveling, I don't make it at home.

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

Try this [in terms of behaviour change]:
http://www.behaviorwizard.org/wp/

I think the best way to quit coffee is to substitute it with morning exercises [the same rush, but better in terms of web of goals]. I know that not everybody can allow yourself this 1h of 'being unproductive' in the morning, but... life is about choices.

Up to this point I was able to do pushups, pullups during my spare time of learning [to get the rusg], but I was not part of "real world TM".

Allagash

Post by Allagash »

Starbucks is the biggest drug dealer in the world (espresso=liquid cocaine). Thus their mega success. But yes I do partake sometimes.

It's amazing to me the rise of popularity of coffee. When I was a kid in the 70's and 80's there were not a lot of coffee shops in the U.S. My mom made Maxwell house which is very weak and dad didn't even drink coffee. Now freaking everyone is addicted to caffeine. Heck I see high school kids in Starbucks all the time buying their $5 double mocha's. The world is getting addicted (if it isn't already) to caffeine. It is an over-caffeinated world!

bryan

Post by bryan »

Starbucks is more of a sugar addiction (and social addiction) than caffeine addiction afaict.

stand@desk

Post by stand@desk »

If you are looking to quit coffee (disclosure, I am a two cupper per day and I have no intentions to quit atm) just do it the ERE way! (Is there any other way for ERErs?)

GO FULL CROWBAR!

Quit Ice Cold turkey and sweat it out and after a few days you should be on track.

I love my coffee and it is probably my favorite luxury item to enjoy so I don't currently intend to quit, plus it gets me going for my 5am runs.

GL!

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

To put this in purely materialist terms that may resonate more with folks here : lifted from the Coffee thread in these forums : You get value by buying overpriced coffee in cafes. You can go ERE by substituting expensive coffee-shop coffee with coffee brewed at home. You may further economize by finding ways to prepare the stuff cheap, or perhaps source the coffee wholesale or whatever. But if you’re able to do away with the stuff altogether, then surely that’s even more ERE, even more effective?

Of course, this works only if not drinking coffee does not affect your quality of life. Else it's plain dysfunctional stinginess. But we can say the same about not living in mansions with grounds and pool, or about not going fine-dining every weekend, or just about anything.
Forum user Devil's advocate wrote